Butterflake Herb Loaf (updated)

Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:51:42 -0700
v118.n037.2
This recipe was posted to bread-bakers in v113.n025 in July 2013.
King Arthur made some minor changes and we've added several comments
from other bakers.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Bread, Butterflake Herb Loaf (updated)

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Posted
                 Side Dish                       Snacks
                 Stand Mixer

                         DOUGH:
   227                g  milk -- (1C or 8oz)
   57                 g  butter -- (1/4C or 2 oz)
   35                 g  sugar -- (3T or 1 1/4oz)
   2          teaspoons  salt -- (2t)
   2              large  eggs
   2          teaspoons  instant yeast -- or active dry yeast
   482                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- to 510g,
(4-4 1/2C or 17 to 18oz), King Arthur preferred
   21                 g  instant potato flakes -- or potato flour,
(2T or 3/4oz), optional, for increased moistness
                         FILLING:  *See Tips
   113                g  unsalted butter -- (8T, 1/2C or 4oz), softened
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   1           teaspoon  grated onion -- or chopped chives
   1              clove  garlic -- minced
      1/2      teaspoon  chopped fennel seed -- or caraway seeds
      1/2      teaspoon  dried basil -- crushed
      1/4      teaspoon  dried oregano -- crushed
      1/8       cayenne  pepper -- to 1/4 teaspoon, or to taste

This rich pull-apart loaf is perfect for sharing, and a great party
loaf. So grab the recipe and get out your flour and yeast - it's time
to kick back with some fresh-made bread! Based on a Bake-Off® winner
from 1964, this loaf is wonderfully buttery and aromatic, perfect for
a special-occasion bread basket.

PREP: 40 mins
BAKE: 20 mins. to 35 mins
TOTAL: 4 hrs 30 mins

Combine the milk, butter, sugar, and salt in a microwave-safe
measuring cup or bowl; or in a saucepan. Heat, stirring, until the
butter melts. Let the mixture cool to lukewarm.

Transfer the milk mixture to a mixing bowl, and add the eggs, yeast,
4 cups of the flour, and the potato flour and mix to form a shaggy
dough. Knead the dough - using your hands, a stand mixer, or your
bread machine set on the dough cycle - until it's smooth. The dough
will remain somewhat sticky, but should definitely form a ball.
During the summer, or in a warm/humid climate, you'll probably find
you have to add the remaining 1/4 cup flour.

Place the dough in a greased container, cover, and let it rise for
about 90 minutes, until it's puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk.

While the dough is rising, place the filling ingredients in a bowl
and mix to combine.

After the dough has risen, deflate it and divide it in half. Working
with one piece at a time, place the dough on a lightly greased or
lightly floured surface (your preference), and roll/pat it into a 12"
circle about 1/4" thick. Cut 3 1/2" to 4" circles with a cutter,
large canning jar lid, or English muffin ring; you should have about
10 circles.

Spread the butter-herb filling on half of each circle, fold in half,
and place fold-side down in a lightly greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf
pan. Repeat with the remaining half of the dough, filling another 8
1/2" x 4 1/2" bread pan. Or place all of the circles in a 12" x 4" x
2 1/2" tea loaf pan. Shape any scraps into small rolls; or butter
them, and pile them into the wells of a muffin tin. They won't look
pretty, but they'll taste just fine.

Cover the pan(s) with greased plastic and let the dough rise for
about 90 minutes, until it's puffy and starting to fill the pan.
Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350F.

Uncover the loaves, and bake them for 25 to 30 minutes. Bread baked
in a ceramic pan will take 5 to 7 minutes longer to bake than in a
metal one. Tent the loaves with foil if they look like they're
browning too quickly.

Remove the bread from the oven; brush it with additional melted
butter, if desired. Turn the loaves out of the pan, and serve warm.
Store any leftovers, well wrapped, at room temperature for several
days; freeze for longer storage.

TIPS:
Want to increase the loaf's tenderness, plus keep it fresh longer?
Try the tangzhong technique, an Asian method for increasing the
softness and shelf life of yeast bread and rolls. Begin by measuring
out the flour and milk you'll be using in the recipe, going with the
greater amount of flour (4 1/4 cups; 18 ounces). Now take 3
tablespoons (3/4 ounce) of the measured flour and 1/2 cup (4 ounces)
of the milk, and put them in a saucepan set over medium-high heat.
Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it thickens and forms a
thick slurry; this will take about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer
the cooked mixture to a bowl, let it cool to lukewarm, then combine
it with the remaining flour, milk, and other dough ingredients.
Proceed with the recipe as directed.

Both the dough and the shaped loaves can be slow risers, especially
in the winter. Let the dough rise in the bowl until it's noticeably
puffy, albeit not necessarily doubled in size. Once the loaves are in
the pans, let them rise until they reach about 3/4 of the way up the
pan. This could take as long as 2 hours or so if your house is on the
cool side.

Alter the filling to taste by substituting your favorite dried or
fresh herbs for the chives, garlic, seeds, and herbs in the recipe.
Or use olive oil instead of butter in the dough, and pesto instead of
butter as the filling. Or mix grated cheese into the butter mixture
and sprinkle more cheese on top before baking.

For a sweet version of this bread, use 1/2 cup baker's cinnamon
filling or a mixture of butter and maple sugar instead of the herb
filling. Drizzle the top of the baked loaf with confectioners' sugar
glaze if you like.

More Tips For Success:
Start with the smaller amount of flour in your dough. Add more only
if necessary to make the dough workable.

Don't have a 3 1/2" biscuit cutter or English muffin ring to cut for
the dough? Use an appropriately sized empty, clean, dry can; or a
wide-mouth canning jar lid.

Cut dough circles as close together as possible; the more circles you
make, the fuller your bread pan(s).

Want to use salted butter in the filling? Reduce the salt in the
filling recipe to 1/4 teaspoon.

Don't over-bake the bread; a light-golden, soft loaf is preferable to
one that's darker colored.

Reviewer 1: This makes exceptionally tasty bread. I've made this so
many times and everyone always raves about it. I make a savory and a
sweet loaf, and they never stick around long. I've been baking bread
for a long time, but the dough that comes out of this recipe is
wonderful. It has that perfectly soft, luxurious and not at all
sticky texture that means the loaf will be outstanding. For the
sweet, I use a teaspoon of cinnamon with a little less than a half
cup of brown sugar and mix that into 4 tablespoons of butter. My
husband calls it candy bread. For the savory, I use garlic, oregano,
basil, parsley, chives and onion powder - it goes really well with an
Italian meal. I have also frozen the dough for use later, and it
works beautifully.

Reviewer 2: This is my go to recipe. I almost know it by heart. I
have made this dozens of times. I vary my fillings. I usually make on
savory and one sweet since it makes two loafs. 1/4 cup butter in each
of two bowls. To one I add sugar and cinnamon to taste and the other
dried herbs. And then use these to spread between the layers. I
usually add just a little more time for them to rise about 4 hours.
This makes amazing bread!

Reviewer 3: Wonderful recipe! I've made it several times and everyone
loves it. Instead of cutting the dough into rounds, I divide it into
20 pieces, roll them slightly, spread the butter on them and stack.
Then I put them sideways into the pan. The recipe suggests spreading
the finished loaf with melted butter, but I find it essential to keep
the crust tender. This bread is especially great with grilled meats.

Info:
Cal 118, Fat 5g, Carb 15g, Sod 203ng, Fiber 0g, Pro 3g

S(Internet address):
   "<https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/butterflake-herb-loaf-recipe#reviews>"
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 175 Calories; 8g Fat (41.3%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
41mg Cholesterol; 305mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0603