Sweet Potato Bread with Caramel and Aleppo-Spiced Pecans

Sat, 17 Nov 2018 18:55:57 -0800
v118.n045.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

      Bread, Sweet Potato Bread with Caramel and Aleppo-Spiced Pecans

Recipe By     :Gerardo Gonzalez
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   1              pound  sweet potatoes -- (about 1 large potato)
      1/4           cup  whole milk
   2              large  eggs
      3/4           cup  vegetable oil -- such as canola
   1         tablespoon  vanilla extract
   1 1/2           cups  dark brown sugar
   1 3/4           cups  cake flour
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
                         Butter -- for greasing loaf pan
   3        tablespoons  store-bought caramel sauce -- or dulce de leche
      1/4      teaspoon  flaked sea salt -- such as Maldon, for sprinkling
   1 1/2      teaspoons  Aleppo pepper flakes
      1/4           cup  chopped toasted pecans

Gently spiced pecans and a salty caramel topping give this morning
treat a savory dimension.

ACTIVE: 20 minutes
TOTAL: 2:35, plus cooling time
Makes: 6 portions, makes 1 small loaf

Preheat oven to 400F minutes. Butter a 9-by-5" loaf pan. Pierce sweet
potato several times with a fork and place on a rimmed baking sheet
lined with foil. Bake until soft and cooked through, 50 to 60
minutes. Scoop out flesh into a blender or food processor; discard
skin. Add milk and purée until smooth. Scrape the potato mixture into
a medium bowl and return 1 1/3 cups of the mixture to the blender.
Add eggs, oil, vanilla, and dark brown sugar and purée until smooth.
Scrape into a large bowl.

Lower the oven to 325F. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt,
baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk the dry ingredients into the
wet ingredients in three batches to avoid overworking the flour. Make
sure batter is fully mixed.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and place on a rimmed baking
sheet. Bake in oven, rotating once, until a toothpick inserted into
center comes out clean, 60 to 75 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire
rack for 2 hours.

Run the dull side of a bread knife along the inner edges of the loaf
pan. Unmold the bread and drizzle with caramel. Sprinkle with sea
salt, Aleppo pepper, and pecans before serving.

Cal 303, Fat 15g, Carb 39g, Sod 227mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 227g

Review: Love this recipe. Have made it many times. I sub Cayenne
pepper for Aleppo and even sprinkle it in the batter for added heat.
Always a hit at work and with friends!

Review: Excellent recipe. It has become my favorite over Pumpkin
Bread. I cut the oil down to 1/2 Cup and it still comes out moist.
Not having found aleppo spice, I used Trader Joes Sweet and Spicey
Pecans on top. Just a hint of spice and crunch!

Review: Delicious bread with complex flavors; unusual for a sweet
bread. I couldn't find aleppo pepper but read that a reasonable
substitute is 4 parts paprika to 1 part cayenne. Will try again once
I order some aleppo pepper, but this was a fine substitute.

Review: The Aleppo pepper flakes were a great discovery - described
by the spice store guy as "like chil flakes but with more flavour".
Will look for recipes with this yummy spice. The recipe was so
intriguing that I had to try it despite my diabetes...worth every
darn carbohydrate and calorie!!! I used a teaspoon of cinnamon and
substituted blanched almond sticks for the pecans only because I
didn't have any - I'm sure they are the best choice. The dulce de
leche is the perfect foil for the spice and nuts and flaked salt. I
would call this an inspired recipe and encourage you to try it. I
will use only 1 cup of brown sugar though next time as it was almost
too sweet for me. A huge hit with guests.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sweet-potato-bread-with-caramel-and-aleppo-spiced-pecans-51249830";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 295 Calories; 14g Fat (42.3%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
31mg Cholesterol; 214mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 1117