Pumpkin Corn Muffins

Thu, 29 Nov 2018 20:40:57 -0800
v118.n047.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Muffins, Pumpkin Corn

Recipe By     :Christi Larsen
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Muffins/Rolls
                 Nuts                            Posted

   1                cup  all-purpose flour
      3/4           cup  yellow cornmeal
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
   2                     eggs -- well beaten
   1                cup  canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
      1/2           cup  packed dark brown sugar
      1/4           cup  canola oil
   1                cup  coarsely chopped pecans
                         pumpkin pie spice -- optional

These moist golden orange muffins pair equally well with jam at
breakfast or with soups and savory main dishes.

Prep: 10 min
Cook: 18 min
Total: 28 min

Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper
muffin liners.

In a large bowl, stir flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda,
and salt and make a well in the center. In a small bowl, stir
together the eggs, pumpkin, sugar, and oil.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg
mixture. Stir just until blended; do not over mix. Fold in pecans.
Divide the batter evenly among prepared muffin tin cups.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick
inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

Review: Used this recipe to fill 36 mini-muffin tins, omitting the
nuts. Baked at 425F for 10 minutes. Came out perfect - flavorful,
light muffins - taking them to Thanksgiving dinner today. (Note: I
used peanut oil, and stone ground whole grain cornmeal rather than
the more common degermed cornmeal.)

Review: I made this cornbread to go with some pumpkin chili I made --
these were top notch! The pumpkin made it moist and cake-like, not
dry and crumbly, making you want to choke, like most cornbread I've
had! I substituted 1/4c applesauce in for the oil, and also used 1/4c
whole wheat flour with 3/4c all-purpose flour. Would be great with
butter, but they were best eaten plain when they came out of the
oven, I didn't want to spoil the delicate pumpkin taste. These seem
like they would even hold up to a sweeter, chocolate-chip breakfast
version (probably a cornbread sin of some sort, though?)!

Review: I actually (a rarity) made these muffins according to the
recipe and they turned out very well- my husband loved them! I would
have prefered them to be bit a little less sweet. next time, I will
probably cut the sugar in half. If you decide to try this recipe
think cornbread rather than pumpkin pie. If you are after a spicier
pumpkin pie type flavor it would probably be better to choose a
different recipe. These are a nice accompaniment to soup or stew and
would also be good for a nourishing, not too sweet, breakfast.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23414/pumpkin-corn-bread/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 224 Calories; 12g Fat (46.2%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
35mg Cholesterol; 154mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0702