No-Knead Dutch Oven Bread

Sat, 22 Dec 2018 18:37:59 -0800
v118.n051.6
This was posted in 2016 (bread-bakers v116n036) without the reviews.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Bread, No-Knead Dutch Oven

Recipe By     :Stephanie
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree

   3               cups  all-purpose flour -- plus more for shaping
   2          teaspoons  sea salt
   1           teaspoon  active dry yeast
   1 1/2           cups  warm water -- about 110 to 115F

Because this beautiful loaf - this glorious no-knead Dutch oven bread
- might just be the very best bread I've ever baked. Seriously. And
it also happens to be one of the easiest ever, too.

PREP: 8:40
COOK: 1 hr
TOTAL: 9:40
YIELD: 1 LARGE ROUND LOAF

In a large bowl, whisk flour, salt and yeast until well mixed. Pour
in warm water and use a wooden spoon to stir until a shaggy dough
forms. The mixture will be wet and very sticky to the touch.

Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place 8
to 18 hours until dough rises, bubbles and flattens on top.

Heat oven to 450F. Once oven is preheated, place a 6-quart Dutch oven
(with cover) in oven 30 minutes before baking.

Punch down dough. Generously flour a sheet of parchment paper;
transfer dough to parchment and, with floured hands, quickly shape
into a ball. Place dough on parchment paper and sprinkle top lightly
with flour. Top with a sheet of plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes.

Remove Dutch oven from oven. Uncover dough and carefully transfer to
Dutch oven, with or without parchment paper beneath (if bottom of
Dutch oven is not coated with enamel, keep parchment paper beneath
dough). Cover Dutch oven and return to oven.

Bake bread 45 minutes covered, then another 10 to 15 minutes
uncovered until dough is baked through and golden brown on top. Cool
slightly before slicing.

Review: I miss the days of big ol' sandwiches on dutch crunch rolls -
I can see why you'd be jumping for joy over this loaf! I must break
out my gf ap flour blend and whip this up in my own dutch oven! Those
yeasty air pockets look faaaabulous!

Review: Just finished making my first loaf. It was very easy and
quite yummy. Next time I will use less salt as it was a bit salty,
even though I used unsalted butter. in the dough as the recipe called
for. It is not a problem, though, if you use unsalted butter on your
first warm slice, as I did. Or on the second slice. I had to have two
slices because the first slice was the end. Nice and crusty, but not
too crunchy. The second was an inside slice. The crust was firm and
the bread was full of holes, light and airy. I have no excuse for the
third slice, other than I needed to see how it tasted with apricot
jam. I am currently trying to justify a fourth slice. Can't wait to
make this bread again. It was actually quite fun with all the
gooey-ness of the dough. I do have a question, though. After
pre-heating the dutch over for 30 minutes at 450F, do you drop the
temperature? It only took 30 minutes to bake at 450F, and the recipe
calls for 45 minutes covered, and then 10-15 uncovered. Thanks for
the recipe. It is a keeper!

Review: Do not change oven temp. The high temp gives you the oven
spring which produces the lofty airy loaf. Baking times vary between
electric, gas and convection style ovens. I baked mine in a gas
convection oven for 40 and 10 to get to 200F in the center of the
loaf. Perfection!

Review: I've made D.O. bread very similar to this - technique,
recipe, etc. I can attest that this is the best bread ever - and the
easiest! I always go with the parchment paper part. Truly bakery
quality; amazing as panini bread or as toast. Will be working in
finely shredded smoked gouda to my next loaf. The overnight slow rise
can develop almost a sourdough-like energy about it absolutely love
it! Too bad its still nearly 100F outside it has to cool down pretty
soon, amiright???

BTW - has anyone tried using white whole-wheat flour with this? The outcome?

Review: The bread looks delicious!!!! Any tips/suggestions to adding
herbs such as rosemary to this mastepiece?

Reply:  I don't have a specific suggestion as to how much herbs to
add, but I think fresh rosemary or dried Italian herbs would be a
great addition!

Source:
   "BASED ON JIM LAHEY'S ORIGINAL METHOD"
S(Internet address):
   "http://www.girlversusdough.com/2015/08/13/no-knead-dutch-oven-bread/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 115 Calories; trace Fat (2.6%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 315mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat.

NOTES : 2018 - 1222