Newfoundland Raisin Buns

Sun, 13 Jan 2019 21:56:43 -0800
v119.n003.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Buns, Newfoundland Raisin

Recipe By     :Barry C. Parsons
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Posted

   375                g  flour -- (3C)
   150                g  sugar -- (3/4C)
   4                tsp  baking powder -- (4t)
      1/2           tsp  salt -- (1/2t)
   170                g  butter -- (3/4C)
   2                tsp  vanilla extract
   240               ml  undiluted evaporated milk -- (1C)
   145                g  raisins -- light or dark, (1 to 1 1/2C)
   2               tbsp  lemon juice

Traditional Newfoundland tea buns are a cousin to scones and
biscuits. Everyone's Mom or Nan made them. Perfect with a steaming cup
of tea.

Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 30 mins

I start these in my food processor because it is so fast but they can
be made just as easily in a large bowl by cutting the butter in with
a pastry blender or just rubbing it into the dry ingredients using
your hands like Nan did.

In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Cut in the butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Transfer to a large bowl and toss in the raisins.

Make a well in the center of the dry mix.

Mix together the lemon juice, vanilla and milk.Pour into the well and
mix only enough to form a dough ball.

Roll to 1" thickness and cut out buns with biscuit cutter and place
on parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Baking time will vary depending on the size of your biscuit cutter.
This recipe makes 16 tea buns.

Recipe Notes:
Only use real butter in this recipe. Substitutes like can cause
issues with sticky dough etc.

Make sure your surface is well floured before you drop the dough onto
it, you can sprinkle a little flour on top before you from it into a
circle to roll out. The goal is to keep the dough as soft and
unworked as possible.

I usually sprinkle on flour and fold the dough only about 3 times.
So, while you can add more flour while working the dough into shape,
don't overdo it or your raisin will be less soft and tender.

Do not roll them too thin; never thinner than 1 to 1 1/2". The larger
the buns the thicker I tend to cut them.

Make sure you oven is well preheated and use aluminum bakeware when
possible. Steel/alloy pans can carry heat too quickly and like they
do sometimes with cookies, spread wider on the pan before they get
the chance to lift.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.rockrecipes.com/newfoundland-raisin-buns/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 249 Calories; 10g Fat (35.9%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
28mg Cholesterol; 295mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Perfect with a steaming cup of tea.

NOTES : 2019 - 0113