Rustic Cranberry and Orange Bread

Sat, 16 Feb 2019 20:52:16 -0800
v119.n008.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Bread, Rustic Cranberry and Orange

Recipe By     :Megumi Garcia
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Fruit
                 Posted

   1 1/2      teaspoons  active dry yeast
   1 3/4           cups  water -- (70 to 75F)
   3 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- divided, plus
   1         tablespoon  all-purpose flour
   2          teaspoons  salt
   1         tablespoon  cornmeal -- or additional flour
   1                cup  dried cranberries
   4          teaspoons  grated orange zest

Studded with cranberries, slices of pretty bread make the perfect
holiday brunch treat. Don't forget to dust the top with flour for artisan look!

Prep: 25 min.+ rising
Bake: 50 min.+ cooling
Makes: 1 loaf (16 slices)

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, mix 3 1/2
cups flour and salt. Using a rubber spatula, stir in yeast mixture to
form a soft, sticky dough. Do not knead. Cover with plastic; let rise
at room temperature 1 hour.

Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a 9"
square. Fold dough into thirds, forming a 9x3" rectangle. Fold
rectangle into thirds, forming a 3" square. Turn dough over; place in
a greased bowl. Cover with plastic; let rise at room temperature
until almost doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch down dough and repeat folding process. Return dough to bowl;
refrigerate, covered, overnight.

Dust bottom of a disposable foil roasting pan with cornmeal. Turn
dough onto a floured surface; knead in cranberries and orange zest.
Shape into a 6" round loaf. Place in prepared pan; dust top with
remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Cover pan with plastic; let rise at
room temperature until dough expands to a 7 1/2" loaf, about 1 1/4 hours.

Preheat oven to 500F. Using a sharp knife, make a slash (1/4" deep)
across top of loaf. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake on lowest oven
rack 25 minutes.

Reduce oven setting to 450F. Remove foil; bake 25 to 30 minutes
longer or until deep golden brown. Remove loaf to a wire rack to cool.

Cal 129, Carb 28g, Sod 296mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: The first time I made this bread it came out good. However,
In the directions it says to punch down and use the folding process.
After rising the first time, it was still sticky so I couldn't do any
folding. I basically poured it onto a baking tray after it was in the
refrig. over night and baked it. Like I said it came out really tasty
but wondering if the flour amount was correct.

Review: This bread is amazing! My mom gave me the recipe a year ago.
Try making it with 1 1/2 cups of dried cranberries and 7-8 teaspoons
of orange zest. If you don't like the cornmeal, just  use flour for step 4.

Source:
   "Originally published as Crusty No-Knead Homemade Bread in Taste
of Home November 2014"
S(Internet address):
   "https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rustic-cranberry-orange-bread/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 105 Calories; trace Fat (2.6%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 268mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit.

NOTES : 2019 - 0216