Sesame Wheat Braids

Sun, 26 May 2019 19:28:05 -0700
v119.n021.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Bread, Sesame Wheat Braids

Recipe By     : Nancy Montgomery
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   4 1/2            tsp  active dry yeast -- (2 pks (1/4 oz each))
   2 1/4           cups  warm water -- (110 to 115F)
      1/3           cup  sugar
   1         Tablespoon  canola oil
   1                cup  whole wheat flour
   2              large  eggs
   1         Tablespoon  water
   1         Tablespoon  salt
   5               cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 6C)
   2          teaspoons  sesame seeds

When I started making this bread, my husband and our six children
liked it so much I was baking every day. I was thrilled when the
judges at our county fair gave these braids both a blue ribbon and
best of show award!

Prep: 30 min. + rising
Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes: 2 loaves (16 slices each)

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar and oil; mix
well. Stir in whole wheat flour; let stand until the mixture bubbles,
about 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat eggs and water. Remove 2 tablespoons to a small
bowl; cover and refrigerate. Add remaining egg mixture and salt to
batter; mix until smooth. Add 4 cups all-purpose flour and beat until
smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6
to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch
dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into thirds.

Shape each into a rope about 15" long. Place three ropes on a greased
baking sheet; braid. Pinch each end firmly and tuck under.

Repeat, placing second braid on the same baking sheet. Brush braids
with the reserved egg mixture; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Let rise
until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove from baking sheet to cool on a wire rack.

Cal 102, Fat 1g, Carb 20g, Sod 226mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: Absolutely delicious! My husband and I couldn't wait for it
to cool and just tore pieces off! I will make this one of my go to
bread recipes.

Review: Halved this recipe and adapted to my Zojirushi BB PAC 20
bread machine. First time I braided bread. Turned out great and my
family ate it in two days. Had to bake another this time with poppy seeds.

Review: I make small alterations, walnut oil not canola and only 1
tablespoons of sugar. I have made this multiple times. It is very good.

Review: Really nice looking bread. I use 1/4 cup honey instead of the
sugar and then reduce the water to just two cups. I find the honey
keeps the bread from drying out too fast. Sometimes I use a "seven
seed crust" topping instead of just sesame seeds.

Review: I make this bread often. Sometimes instead of sesame seeds I
top the bread with swedish pearl sugar (a special kind of sugar for
baking that doesn't burn) and it turns out great that way too.

Review: Used no white flour only Wheat, Used 1/2 cup less Flour and
1/3 cup more oil.Turned out great.

Review: I also clipped this recipe from CW, July 1995. The card is so
tattered and stained, I thought I better reprint it. I make this at
least 3 times a month and its turned out everytime. My daughter got a
grand champion ribbon at our county fair using this recipe, as did
her friend in another county. Be sure to toast some for breakfast, too!

Source:
   "Originally published as Sesame Wheat Braids in Country Woman
July/August 1995"
S(Internet address):
   "https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sesame-wheat-braids/";
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 103 Calories; 1g Fat (9.8%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
13mg Cholesterol; 206mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0410