Homemade Panera Bagels

Sun, 26 May 2019 19:43:13 -0700
v119.n021.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bagels, Homemade Panera

Recipe By     : Katie
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Low Fat
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Posted

   2          teaspoons  active dry yeast
   1 1/2    tablespoons  granulated sugar
      1/2           cup  warm water
   2               cups  white flour
   1 1/2           cups  wheat flour
   1           teaspoon  salt
   1 1/4            cup  warm water
      1/4           cup  honey -- (to 1/2C)
                         Optional Toppings:
                         Egg wash
                         Mixture of minced onion -- poppy seeds,
sesame seeds, minced garlic, etc.
                         Oats
                         Cheese

This Homemade Panera Bagels recipe will give you step-by-step
directions to make perfect copycat bagels. This bagel recipe produces
soft and chewy bagels just like the famous bread shop. Homemade
bagels are fun to make and will impress your family and friends.
After making this Panera recipe, you will want to freshly bake all
your bread goods. You can try all kinds of different toppings on this
bagel recipe to recreate your favorite Panera bagel.

Preheat oven to 425F.

In a small bowl, place 1/2 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast. Do not
stir and let it sit five minutes. After five minutes, stir together
sugar and yeast until dissolved.

In a large bowl, mix together the flours and salt. Create a well in
the middle, and pour in the yeast/sugar mixture. Pour half of the
remaining water into the well and mix. Pour in the remaining water,
1/4 cup water at a time until it is a firm, moist dough.

Knead the dough for 10 minutes on a floured surface. Use additional
flour as needed.

Lightly coat a bowl with oil and place dough ball into it. Cover with
a damp dish cloth and let it rise for about an hour in a warm place,
until doubled in size. After the hour, punch down, cover again, and
let rise about another 10 minutes.

Divide dough into about 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a dough round.

Gently poke a hole through the center of each dough round with your
finger, expanding the hole to be about 1/3 the size of the entire
round. Place on an oiled cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough rounds.

Cover the dough rounds with a damp kitchen cloth and let rest ten minutes.

Bring a large pot of water, with 1/4 - 1/2 cup honey added, to a boil.

Lower bagels into pot of honey water using a slotted spoon. Let them
boil on each side for about 45 seconds. After boiling, remove with a
slotted spoon, shake a little to remove excess water, and place back
on cookie sheet.

Brush each bagel with egg wash, and if desired, top with toppings.
Make half with the "everything" mixture, and then half with oats on top.

Bake for 20 minutes, and cool on a wire cooling rack.

Review: These came out great! They were a little on the thick side,
but I think I could have made the rings a bit thinner and spread out.
I also haven't worked much with doughs so I know my techniques need
improvement, but my fiancé loved these this morning.

Review: The one with the oats was definitely my favorite. I'm excited
to try out some different flavors

S(Internet address):
   "http://www.clarkscondensed.com/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 234 Calories; 1g Fat (2.9%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 271mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0415