No-Knead 5-Minute Artisan Bread

Sat, 28 Dec 2019 22:55:51 -0800
v119.n051.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Bread, No-Knead 5-Minute Artisan

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   3               cups  lukewarm water -- 100F/38C (24 oz)
   1         tablespoon  active dry yeast -- or instant, quick rise, or
bread machine
   1        tablespoons  kosher salt -- or other coarse salt, to
taste, (to to 1 1/2 Tbsp)
   6 1/2           cups  unbleached all-purpose flour -- (2 lb)
                         Cornmeal -- for dusting optional

This no-knead 5-minute artisan bread explains how to make homemade
bread in just minutes a day without fuss. Quick, easy, rustic, and
the best bread you'll ever bake ever, including after you come home from work.

Yield: Four 1 lb loaves

Warm the 3 cups water just a little so that it feels just slightly
warmer than body temperature. That should put it at about 100F (40C).
In the large bowl of a standing mixer or a 6-quart container with a
lid, mix the yeast, warm water, and salt. Don't worry about getting
the yeast to dissolve. Add the flour all at once, then use a spoon or
stand mixer to mix until the flour is completely incorporated and you
have a blobby dough. (If you're hand-mixing the dough and it becomes
too difficult to incorporate all the flour with the spoon, just use
very wet hands to press the mixture together.) Don't knead the dough!
It's not necessary. You just want the dough to be uniformly wet and
loose enough to conform to the shape of its container. All you need
to do is be certain that there are no dry patches of flour.

Loosely cover the container and let the dough hang out at room
temperature until it begins to rise and collapse or at least flatten
a little on the top, about 2 hours. (Relax. It's bread dough, not a
newborn. You don't need to monitor it constantly. And don't worry
about the dough being precisely double or triple its original volume
as you would with a traditional bread recipe. Just walk away, go
about your business, and come back in 2 hours. Seriously.)

After 2 hours, stash the container of dough in the fridge. That's it.
(If your container isn't vented, you want to ensure the gases can
escape by leaving the cover open a crack for the first couple days in
the fridge; after that, you can seal it.) You can use the dough
anytime after the initial 2-hour rise, although the refrigerated wet
dough is less sticky and easier to work with than dough at room
temperature, so it's best to refrigerate the dough overnight before
handling it. Once refrigerated, the dough will seem to have shrunk
back upon itself as though it will never rise again - that's normal.
Whatever you do, do not punch down this dough. You're trying to
retain as much gas in the dough as possible, and punching it down
knocks gas out and results in denser loaves. Just be certain to use
the dough at some point within 14 days.

When you want to bake a loaf of artisan bread, dust a pizza peel or a
baking sheet turned upside down with cornmeal or line it with
parchment paper. Grab a hunk of the dough and use a serrated knife or
scissors to cut off a 1 lb piece of dough. Hold the dough in your
hands and, if necessary, add just enough flour so the dough doesn't
stick to your hands. (What you're trying to do is surround the
surface of the dough with flour so that it can be handled. You are
not trying to incorporate more flour into the dough, so for the love
of all things good, resist the temptation to get rid of all the
dough's inherent and lovely stickiness by working the flour into the
dough.) Gently stretch the surface of the dough, tucking the ends
underneath the ball and rotating it a quarter turn as you go. Most of
the dusting flour will fall off, and that's okay, because as we just
said, it's not intended to be incorporated into the dough. The bottom
of the ball of dough may appear to be a collection of bunched ends,
but it will flatten out and adhere during resting and baking. Your
round loaf of bread should be smooth and cohesive, and the entire
shaping process should take no more than 20 to 40 seconds - don't
work the dough any longer or your loaves may be dense. Place the
shaped ball of dough on the prepared pizza peel and let it rest for
about 40 minutes. It doesn't need to be covered. You may not see much
rise during this period, but don't fret. It will rise much more during baking.

Preheat the oven to 450F (230C) for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
Preheat a baking stone on a middle rack for at least 20 to 30
minutes. Place an empty metal broiler tray on any rack that won't
interfere with the rising bread. (Do not use a glass pan as it could shatter.)

Dust the top of the raised loaf generously with flour and, using a
serrated bread knife, slash a 1/2" deep cross or tic-tac-toe pattern
in the top. There's no need to dust the flour off the loaf.

Place the far edge of the peel or the upside-down baking sheet in the
oven on the baking stone a few inches beyond where you want the bread
to land. Give the peel or baking sheet a couple quick back-and-forth
jiggles and then abruptly pull it out from under the loaf. The loaf
should land on the baking stone with very little drama. Quickly but
carefully pour about 1 cup hot water into the broiler tray and
immediately shut the oven door to trap the steam. Bake the bread for
a total of 20 to 35 minutes, until the crust is richly browned and
firm to the touch. (Don't worry. Because the dough is so wet, there's
very little risk of it becoming dry despite how dark the crust may
become.) And crazily enough, a perfectly baked loaf will audibly
crackle, or "sing," when initially exposed to room temperature. Let
the loaf cool completely, preferably on a wire rack for the best
flavor, texture, and slicing. The crust may initially soften but will
firm when cooled.

Review: I nearly always have some of this dough in the fridge. This
5-minute artisan bread is a simple 4-ingredient dough.
I used a wooden spoon in a large mixing bowl and finished with my wet
hands. The dough was very lumpy and sticky. After the 2-hour rise,
the dough was full of holes, which are very noticeable throughout
when using a glass bowl. After refrigerating the dough overnight, it
was very easy to work with. So easy, in fact, I really didn't need to
flour the surface before cutting a loaf-size amount from the dough. I
made a couple of boules, and while they had a nice crumb, the crust
was spectacular!
This dough is perfect to have on hand for any occasion. If, like me,
you love a crisp, crunchy bread, this recipe is for you. If you leave
the dough in the fridge for at least 48 hours, the crumb has many
more holes. When you use it the next day, the crumb is much tighter.
I prefer mine with holes to capture all of the goodies that I apply.

Review: This has to be the easiest and fastest way to make bread
dough. It's also now my favorite way to make bread dough - and a
decent loaf or boule of bread with little effort.
I made a free-form boule and a loaf in a traditional loaf pan. I
found that after baking the loaves for 30 minutes, I had a tanned
boule, much like a round sourdough loaf. I found this loaf had a
moist and dense crumb and a crunchy crust. As for the loaf pan, I
found that batch didn't rise as much, but this may be due to my
handling of the dough. It was still delicious. This is certainly a
way to wow on a weeknight, as the bread does its own thing while you
prep dinner. A great method for making bread. I used a 10-quart
storage container with a lid. While the dough was rising, I left 1
corner open, and then when I refrigerated it, I closed that corner.
It really is a good idea to open it the first few days to allow the
extra gases out. I find it's a good workout mixing the dough with a
wooden spoon (about 6 or 7 minutes of mixing), but I've used a stand
mixer in the past with other bread doughs for speed (about 3 or 4
minutes). Both work equally well. The resulting dough looks like wet
pizza dough, sort of jelly- or pudding-like. When the work is done,
all that remains is to use it within 14 days. I so far have not had
this dough last a week. The only suggestion I would make is that you
should check your yeast to make sure it's still viable before mixing
your dough. I forgot to do that, and my first batch failed to rise. I
replaced my yeast with fresh, and the second batch performed as it should.

Review: This 5-minute artisan bread is absolutely delicious! I love
the warm, earthy flavors, the spongy, chewy texture, and the crisp
crust. Great recipe. I just used the last of the dough that was in
the refrigerator. However, I don't have a pizza peel, so I used a
small bread board with a handle. When I tried to put the dough on the
baking stone as instructed, it fell and lost its shape, and I had to
pick it up and re-shape it. I took the bread out of the oven when it
was 210F, and the top was richly browned. It took only about 20
minutes to bake the bread. This recipe was well worth the time.

Review: I'm going to start off by saying that this 5-minute artisan
bread dough is gorgeous and comes together without a hitch. I
followed the directions precisely and used exactly 6 cups flour. It's
a lovely, sticky dough that's a bit difficult to work with unless
you're used to working with loose doughs. After allowing the dough to
rest in the fridge for 2 days, I embarked on making the boule. I
followed the directions precisely, and even without a pizza peel, I
was able to put the formed boule onto the preheated baking stone
without changing the shape too much. Don't be scared to use a lot of
flour to help you shape the dough - it won't get incorporated at all,
and it looks rather gorgeous against the burnished crust. I baked the
bread for exactly 30 minutes and then placed it on a rack to cool.
The resulting boule was golden brown, with a lovely crust, fantastic
chew, and wonderful flavor.

S(Internet address):
   https://leitesculinaria.com/93789/recipes-5-minute-artisan-bread.html

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 125 Calories; trace Fat (2.6%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 237mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0819