Easy Egg Bread

Sat, 28 Dec 2019 23:03:52 -0800
v119.n051.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Bread, Easy Egg

Recipe By     :Red Star Yeast Co.
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   4               cups  bread flour -- (to 4 1/2C)
   4          teaspoons  active dry yeast -- (1/4oz, 7g)
   2               Tbsp  sugar
   2                tsp  salt
      1/2           cup  water
      1/2           cup  milk
   2               Tbsp  shortening -- or butter
   3                     eggs -- slightly beaten
   1                     egg yolk -- and
   1                tsp  milk -- whisked together (egg wash)

Pillow-y soft, enriched with both eggs and butter, slightly sweet.
Great for breakfast with butter and jam or accompanying a comforting
meal at dinner time.

Yield: 1 large braided loaf

In large mixer bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix
well. In saucepan, heat water, milk and shortening/butter until warm
(120-130F), (shortening/butter does not need to melt). Add to flour
mixture. Slowly add slightly beaten eggs. Blend at low speed until
moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in
enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface
until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place dough in lightly
oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests
ripe, about an hour.

Punch down dough. Divide into 3 parts. On lightly floured surface,
roll each third to a 15" rope. On greased cookie sheet loosely braid
from center to ends. Pinch ends and tuck under to seal. Cover; let
rise in warm place until indentation remains after lightly touching,
about 30 to 45 minutes. Brush with egg wash. Bake at 400F for 25 to
30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet; cool on wire rack.

Question: I'd like to add some golden raisins. Is there any
adjustments to the dough or the baking that would be required? I grew
up eating Hoska & this is basically the same thing.
Response: You should be able to add raisin with no adjustments to
baking. Let us know how it turns out!

Question: If I use the dough hook on my counter mixer, how long would
you recommend the knead? Thank you.
Response: Using a stand mixer, kneading would probably be around 5 to
6 minutes. The dough needs to be soft and elastic. Use the window
pane test to help guide you.

Review: I cant count the number of loaves of the easy egg braid I
have made over the years,When my children were in school I made them
as Christmas gifts for their teachers eight loaves one for each
teacher Ive also given them to family and friends as gifts I became
known around town as the lady who makes that good bread.Thanks for
your great recipe it really is easy

Question: Can I mix shredded cheese into the dough before baking it?
I am looking for a way to make soft and fluffy pigs in a blanket
wraps that have cheese in them. I also want the bread to be made with
egg so this recipe looks like it could be good with the modification
of adding cheese
Response: You certainly can add shredded cheese to the dough. Sounds delicious!

Review: I am so happy with this recipe. This is my first time making
a homemade bread loaf and it came out perfect. I used the butter, not
shortening. I kneaded it by hand for about 7 minutes. The elasticity
was beautiful. I'm definitely going to experiment with adding some
flavor to the recipe but man this first timer is impressed.I was so
proud of the way it looked. The color, the plait, the texture.yay!

Question: Can I substitute King Arthur All-Purpose Flour and are
there any adjustments for the Easy Egg Bread?
Response: Yes. King Arthur all-purpose flour has a higher protein
content than most other all-purpose flours and should work fine in
this recipe. Let us know if you make it!

Review: A very nice recipe that doesn't get carried away by calling
for six or more eggs. My Costa Rican housemates loved it!

Question: If I use Red Star Platinum yeast, how much flour should I
use? I've made this recipe ones before with active dry yeast and
loved the result!
Response: You can use the same amount of Red Star Platinum Yeast.
Just keep an eye on your dough so it doesn't overproof - it may rise faster.

Review: I made this recipe, though I substituted 2 cups of spelt
flour for half of the flour. It is delicious and nutritious! Thank you.

Question: Can I use whole wheat flour.As i want to eat healthy?
Response: It would be fine to replace some of the bread flour with
whole wheat flour in this recipe. You might want to start with 1/3 of
the flour as whole wheat, and you could increase up to 50% from
there. You may find that the dough will require some additional
liquid because the whole wheat flour tends to absorb more liquid due
to the higher fiber content.

Review: I have made this recipe several times in the past week to
give fresh loaves to new neighbors and old friends. It is so easy to
make and the dough rises beautifully. I followed the recipe as
written. I use my dough hooks on my hand mixer to knead the dough -
works wonderfully. I have had fun shaping the dough different ways
and even filling the dough with a tasty maple-nut mixture - when
filling, I roll out a portion of the dough into a long rectangle,
spread mixture in a thin layer, roll dough to enclose mixture, and
finally form the "stuffed" dough strip into a spiral. I find the bake
time only needs about 22 to 25 minutes at 375F. Wonderful bread recipe!

Review: I have tried many bread recipes and this has got to be at the
top. So soft inside. I had to put a foil tent over the bread I the
last 10 mins and I baked at 385F for 25 mins. Very delighted flavors,
a bit like challah without all the yolks!

Question: Can i use all purpose flour?
Response: Great question! We recommend using bread flour as opposed
to all-purpose flour. Bread flour is a consistently stronger flour
with superior dough forming and rising properties for yeast breads.
However, if you don't have bread flour, you may use all-purpose
flour. Your dough may be weaker; keep an eye on it so it doesn't rise
too much and get too weak to hold its shape.

S(Internet address):
   https://redstaryeast.com/recipes/easy-egg-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 169 Calories; 4g Fat (20.1%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 54mg Cholesterol; 285mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1219