Seeded Whole Grain Soda Bread

Sun, 09 Feb 2020 22:53:20 -0800
v120.n006.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                    Bread, Seeded Whole Grain Soda

Recipe By     :Claire Saffitz
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

      1/4           cup  millet
      1/4           cup  quinoa
   2        tablespoons  amaranth
   1                cup  old-fashioned oats -- plus more for topping
   2 1/4           cups  buttermilk -- divided, plus more for brushing
      1/2           cup  water
   1              Tbsp.  vegetable oil -- plus more for pan
   3               cups  whole wheat flour
   1                cup  all-purpose flour
   2        tablespoons  flax seeds
   1         tablespoon  kosher salt
   2          teaspoons  baking soda
      1/4           cup  sunflower seeds -- plus more for topping
   4        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- cut into pieces
   3        tablespoons  brown rice syrup -- or mild-flavored (light) molasses

Jeff & Reggie notes: We had no amaranth so we increased millet and
quinoa to 3/8C each. We used Grandma's molasses. Grain and buttermilk
mixture is too thick to simmer - we let it rest 12 hours. We used a
15" diameter salad bowl to mix the batter. Mixed a few turns with a
spoon then switched to my hands. It's necessary to knead the dough
some to make it uniform. You can do it all in the bowl if it's wide
enough. The dough won't look very smooth, won't hold its shape, and
is more than a bit sticky. We baked in a 9" non-stick pie pan without
oil for 70 min. The bread is especially good toasted.

This moist, chewy soda bread satisfies all my starchy cravings but is
so packed with seeds, oats, and whole wheat that it's also
energy-sustaining. It makes beautiful toast, too.

Mix millet, quinoa, amaranth, 1 cup oats, 1 cup buttermilk, and 1/2
cup water in a small bowl. Cover and let sit 8 to 12 hours.
Alternatively, bring ingredients to a simmer in a small saucepan over
low heat. Remove from heat and let sit until mixture is thick like
porridge, about 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil an 8"-diameter cast-iron skillet or
cake pan. Whisk whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, flaxseed, salt,
baking soda, and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Work in
butter with your fingers until largest pieces are pea-size. Make a
well in the center and add brown rice syrup, oat mixture, remaining 1
1/4 cups buttermilk, and remaining 1 Tbsp. oil. Mix with a wooden
spoon until dough is smooth, homogenous, and still slightly sticky.

Form dough into a ball and place in prepared pan. Brush with
buttermilk; top with more oats and sunflower seeds. Cut a large X
into the top and bake until golden brown and an instant-read
thermometer inserted into the center of loaf registers 190F, 55 to 70
minutes. Let cool in pan.

Bread can be baked 2 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.

Review: Love this recipe. Easy and very delicious.

Review: Very hearty and tasty! I only was able to soak the
ingredients for about 6 hours and that was fine. Used a 10" cast iron
skillet, so the bread was more spread out and 70 mins was perfect baking time.

Review: I love this recipe and really enjoy all the grains in it. I
used my food processor to cut the butter into the dry ingredients,
and then add the cooked buttermilk mixture and pulsed a few times
more to mix together - which makes this bread very easy to prepare. I
used a 2 inch deep 8-inch round pan and it took over 70 min. to get
to 180 degrees. It was fully cooked and delicious. I found the crust
to be hard just after the bread cools, but by the next day the crust
texture is just right. I love to toast or reheat wedges in a toaster
oven and serve with butter. My guests loved it.

Review: I love this recipe! I've made it 5 times now and finally got
around to reviewing it. It's very, first according to recipe, and
then altering as I pleased, and it's very easy to make and versatile.
I've altered the grains used based on what I have (barley, bulgur in
place of millet; also teff) although if using barley or the like,
precook it in the porridge mixture without the oats for ~half an hour
with enough water and the cup of buttermilk to soften it, then add
the oats after cooking. I generally add 2 tbsp olive oil in place of
the vegetable oil called for, and it's a really good change. To make
it a holiday breakfast bread, I used green pepitas on the outside and
added fresh and/or dried cranberries or other dried fruit, a tsp of
cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of cloves. I also added pumpkin purée to the
porridge once, shredded carrots once, and added almond meal left over
from making almond milk. If you keep the flour, soda, buttermilk
constant, you have some freedom to alter the rest with good results.
It does take a long time to bake. I've baked it as large round loaves
as directed (80 to 90 minutes?), as regular loaves (60), mini loaves,
and even in a jumbo muffin pan when I ran out of mini loaf pans.

Review: Have made this bread twice, once with regular molasses and
once with silan (date syrup) as I had no brown rice syrup. Both are
good. I like that it's not sweet. I cut it in half & freeze one half,
and it does freeze well. Only problem with recipe is that it does not
specify whether or not to fill the pan with the batter after it's
shaped into a ball, or to let it sit in the center of the pan. Also,
the ingredients were expensive, but really worthwhile as the bread is
so tasty. Toasted with cream cheese or butter, & cup of coffee, this
is a great and complete breakfast.

Review: Wow is this tasty! But it does take a long time to bake. I'm
accustomed to baking soda bread on a baking sheet and not in a loaf
pan or frying pan. The only substitution I made was to use Grandma's
Original Molasses in place of the rice syrup. I'm thinking of
toasting some slices later and topping with a feta/ricotta mixture to
enjoy with some soup I just made. Yum!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/seeded-whole-grain-soda-bread

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 227 Calories; 7g Fat (25.9%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber;
9mg Cholesterol; 551mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0207