Buttery Pull-Apart Dinner Rolls

Sun, 12 Jul 2020 16:36:45 -0700
v120.n028.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Rolls, Buttery Pull-Apart Dinner

Recipe By     :Claire Saffitz
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   10       tablespoons  unsalted butter -- cut into pieces, divided
   1              large  garlic clove -- finely grated (or 2 small)
      3/4           cup  whole milk -- divided
   3        tablespoons  bread flour -- plus
   2 1/4           cups  bread flour
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1 1/4-oz envelope)
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   2              large  eggs
   2          teaspoons  kosher salt
                         Vegetable oil -- (for bowl)
                         Flaky sea salt

With any luck, these will be the softest rolls you ever make.

Place 5 Tbsp. butter in a medium bowl. Cook remaining 5 Tbsp. butter
in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling often, until butter
foams, then turns golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and
stir in garlic; scrape butter mixture and all those toasty milk
solids at the bottom of the pan into bowl with butter pieces. Reserve
saucepan. Stir until all the butter is melted and mixture is smooth.
Let sit, stirring occasionally, until butter is room temperature and
solidified, 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk 1/4 cup milk, 3 Tbsp. flour, and 1/4 cup water in
reserved saucepan until smooth, then set over medium heat and cook,
whisking constantly, until it becomes a very stiff paste resembling
mashed potatoes, about 2 minutes. Scrape into the bowl of a stand
mixer; reserve saucepan.

Gently heat remaining 1/2 cup milk in reserved saucepan over low (it
should be warm to the touch but not steaming hot). Remove from heat
and let sit 1 minute. Add yeast and whisk until dissolved. Let
mixture sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, brush bottom and sides of a 13x9" baking dish with 2 Tbsp.
garlic butter; set aside. Set aside another 2 Tbsp. garlic butter in
a small bowl for brushing over baked rolls.

Add yeast mixture, sugar, 1 egg, and remaining 2 1/4 cups flour to
paste in mixer bowl. Using the dough hook, mix on low speed until a
shaggy dough forms. Add kosher salt, increase speed to medium, and
continue mixing until dough forms a smooth single mass, about 3
minutes. Reduce speed to low again and add remaining garlic butter a
tablespoonful at a time, waiting until incorporated before adding
more. Once all of the garlic butter has been added, increase mixer
speed back to medium and mix dough until very soft, smooth, and
supple, another 8 to 10 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl; form dough
into a ball and place in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise
in a warm draft-free spot until doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.

Punch down dough and knead several times to deflate, then turn out
onto a clean work surface. To form the rolls, divide dough into 15
equal pieces (about 1 1/2 oz. each). Working one at a time and
keeping other pieces covered in plastic, fold edges of dough
underneath, pinching bottom to seal. Turn 90 and fold and pinch
again. Repeat process until you have created a smooth sphere with no
seams except at the bottom.

Place ball on work surface and rest the side of your hand next to it
so your palm and fingers are cupped around it. Drag the ball toward
you, using friction against the work surface to create tension and
stretch the surface of the dough into a smooth, taut dome. This
shaping method tightens the gluten over the surface so the rolls rise
evenly upward and outward instead of slumping into amorphous blobs.
Repeat with remaining balls of dough and place in prepared pan in a
5x3 grid, spacing evenly apart.

Loosely cover pan with plastic wrap and let rolls rise in a warm
draft-free spot until doubled in size and touching, 35 to 45 minutes
(to test, poke one with an oiled finger; dough should spring back but
leave a slight indentation).

Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 375F. Beat remaining egg
in another small bowl until yolks and whites are incorporated and no
streaks remain. Gently brush tops of rolls with egg, then sprinkle
with sea salt.

Bake rolls until they are deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Transfer pan to a wire rack and brush warm rolls with reserved 2
Tbsp. garlic butter; let cool in pan 10 minutes.

Slide an offset spatula around sides and underneath rolls to loosen,
then invert onto rack and turn right side up. Let cool at least
another 15 minutes before serving.

Do Ahead: Dough can be formed into rolls (do not let rise) 1 day
ahead; cover and chill. Let rise before baking; this may take around 3 hours.

Review: These are very very good. I thought they were a little
challenging to make honestly, but definitely worth the effort. I did
not have bread flour so I used all purpose. You'll most likely need
more flour than the recipe calls for if using all purpose. At least I
did. I did do the milk and yeast thing twice because the first time
around I was impatient and threw the yeast in when clearly it was too
hot. Learned my lesson and did it again and the yeast did foam. Also,
I forgot to reserve 2 tbsp of garlic butter for spreading at the end
but we were not unhappy with the extra buttery-ness inside! Very good
and it was definitely the highlight of this quarantine day # whatever!

Review: These sound delicious and I would love to make, but not being
an experienced bread maker, it would be super helpful if there was a
video accompanying this recipe (in particular for the steps on how to
form the spheres and for shaping the rolls). I read that other people
figured it out, but it sounds super confusing to me and I'm not
inclined to start and cross my fingers that I'll figure it out along
the way (I have limited ingredients due to the virus).

Review: To echo what a lot of other reviewers have said - don't let
reading the steps overwhelm you. Honestly, if you make sure to have
all your ingredients prepped before starting it's actually pretty
easy. As others have said - the yeast mixture actually doesn't get
too foamy. Mine didn't foam at all - and I tried it twice. I even
made sure the milk didn't go over 115 degrees. So I just went for it
with the second yeast mixture I made & it turned out fantastic. When
proofing I like to turn the oven on for a couple seconds to warm it
up & then I'll throw the dough in there to rise - worked like a
charm. They have a light garlic flavor, not overpowering. I like the
sea salt touch on top & the add of a light butter coating when you
pull them out. I was very impressed with myself with these. You
really can't go wrong. We used them for hot ham & cheese sliders - SO
GOOD. Highly recommend.

Review: This was a fantastic recipe. I've tried four different dinner
roll recipes in the last month and a half to find one that works, and
this is it. It baked well and it tasted delicious.

Review: Another great recipe by Claire with detailed and helpful
instructions. I made a double batch by hand (it wasn't too much work)
and they came out perfectly even though I didn't have flaky salt. The
whole house smelled delicious and it got LOTS of compliments. I even
pulled out the recipe! I don't think it is too difficult or time
consuming, although I have made bread before. These rolls' dough will
stop sticking to everthing as you knead (especially when you add the
butter), which is very satisfying. I didn't love the smell of garlic
on my hands or my counter but it was totally worth it. On my first
time making these (this was my second time), I panicked about the
yeast not blooming, thinking the milk was too hot, but it just
doesn't bloom that much. I will absolutely make them again! These
have become a new Thanksgiving must have.

Review: I was super excited to try this recipe for thanksgiving when
I saw it was developed by the amazing pastry chef, Claire Saffitz. As
expected, the rolls turned out beautiful lady. they were soft and
airy with a wonderful garlic butter flavor. Some advice: the
yeast/milk mixture may not foam very much. Don't fret! If you know
your yeast is good, keep going! Your rolls will be perfect. Also, I
would only reserve 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons on garlic butter to brush on top
and put the rest in the dough itself, since I found that the dough
could have used a little more garlic butter flavor. Other than that,
amazing recipe. 10/10 would make again.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/bread-recipes

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 174 Calories; 9g Fat (47.2%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 268mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0712