Whole Wheat Carrot Bread (updated)

Jeff Dwork <jeff@jeff-and-reggie.com>
Sun, 12 Jul 2020 23:02:27 -0700
v120.n029.3
This was in bread-bakers v118.n009.5
https://bread-bakers.com/msgs/v118n009/msg00004.html
Updated here with reviews

* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Bread, Whole Wheat Carrot (King Arthur)

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co.
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

      3/4           cup  puréed cooked carrots -- (85g)
   2        tablespoons  brown sugar -- (28g)
   2        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- (28g)
      3/4      teaspoon  salt
      3/4           cup  water -- (170g)
   1 1/4           cups  White Whole Wheat Flour -- or Premium Whole
Wheat Flour, (142g)
   2          teaspoons  instant yeast -- or active dry yeast
   2               cups  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (to 2 1/4C
(241g to 269g))

Terry Magestro entered this bread in the Wisconsin State Fair. Her
mother baked leftover vegetables into all kinds of breads, and this
loaf carries on the tradition. The dough also makes excellent (and
colorful) dinner rolls.

PREP: 2:25
BAKE: 35 to 40 mins
TOTAL: 3 hrs
YIELD: 1 loaf, 16 slices
SERVING SIZE: 34g

In a medium saucepan, combine the carrot puree, brown sugar, butter,
and salt and heat just until warm and the butter is almost melted.
Remove from the heat, and transfer to the bowl of your mixer. Add the
water, whole wheat flour, and yeast; mix well.

Add the all-purpose flour 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each
addition. Use the last 1/4 cup to adjust the dough's consistency
while kneading.

Knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until the dough is smooth and and elastic.
Place in a greased bowl, turn over, then cover and let rise until
doubled, about 1 hour.

After the first rise, deflate the dough and shape it into a loaf.
Place in a greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan. Cover with greased
plastic, and let rise until it domes 1" above the rim of the pan.

While the bread is rising, preheat the oven to 375F.

Bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center reads 190F
when measured with a digital thermometer. Remove from the oven, tip
the bread out of its pan, and cool on a rack before slicing.

Cal 90, Fat 2g, Carb 17g, Sod 76mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: This was great! I've always had dense bread when I use whole
wheat or mix-ins but this was perfect.I used beet puree and got a
very mild-flavored BRIGHT PINK bread. Easy to convince a toddler to
eat pink bread!I cut the dough into 15 pieces and formed balls. I
left it to rise after shaping about 45 minutes. I brushed the top
with egg wash and baked about 18 minutes (checked intern temp). They
had a good crust from the egg wash.

Review: Pros and cons: The measurements were confusing. I have been
baking bread for 10 yrs, and I always use grams over cups/oz for
measuring flour and solids as it is more consistent. Recipe says use
3/4 cup of pureed carrots, your table shows that is 85g. When using
the gram measurement of carrots, it looked too skimpy to be correct.
It only filled up about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup measure, not 3/4 cup. The
different measurements should give you basically the same amt of
ingredients in the end, not such a huge difference like this. So I
used 6oz of pureed carrots, not 3oz, based on my own knowledge of
baking bread and what seemed necessary. The flour in grams was 'off'
too, especially the AP flour. It said to use 241-269g, but I needed
more like 317g. I have experience baking all kinds of breads, simple
and advanced, so I had to rely again on my instincts to adjust the
bread. That being said, it proofed well and then baked high in the
pan and made a nice appearance, it was best toasted in my opinion. I
love using up produce in creative recipes so as not to waste them.
But I was not overly impressed with this loaf. I have other sandwich
loaves that are more reliable, from your site and bread books, rather
than to go back to this one again. I wonder if others who used this
recipe and gave it 5 stars had used the cup/oz method vs the grams,
that might explain why it worked well. I would advise against using
gram measurements for this one, it didn't measure up, literally
speaking. Use cups and ounces only for this one, that's my best
advice...or else, make another recipe.

Review: Beautiful, giant, light loaf. Perfect for sandwiches. I
thought that it didn't have enough salt so I will up the salt to 1
tsp or even 1.5 next time I make this.

Review: This recipe produced a nicely textured loaf, and it wasn't as
glaringly orange as I was afraid it might be. Great way to use up
some extra carrots from the garden.

Review: This is a wonderful recipe, as are all your recipes. I used
pureed from the baby food isle. I use it when baking dog treats so
it's easy to empty out a jar for this recipe. Thank you

Review: Beautiful, delicious bread. Balanced flavor with just a hint
of sweeteness, quick and easy to make, gorgeous golden color. Highly recommend.

Review: Great recipe but I did a couple of changes to make less
cleanup. I put the water in a 2 C measuring cup, added the (leftover
roasted) carrots to bring the level up to 1.5 cup, used my immersion
blender to puree, added the sugar and butter and microwaved it for 2
min. Saved washing a pan and an extra measuring cup or 2.

Review: I used my homemade frozen pumpkin puree instead of carrots.
It turned out very well - sliced beautifully and no pumpkin taste to
compete with any sandwich filling I used.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/whole-wheat-carrot-bread-recipe
Yield:
   "1 loaf"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 18 Calories; 1g Fat (69.0%
calories from fat); trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 101mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0115
2019 - 1016 updated