Egg Bagels

Sat, 01 Aug 2020 15:39:20 -0700
v120.n029.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                                Bagels, Egg

Recipe By     :Chef Faye Levy
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Hand Made
                 Low Fat                         Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   6               cups  bread flour
   1                cup  lukewarm water -- plus
   2        tablespoons  lukewarm water
   2          envelopes  dry yeast -- (1/2 oz or 5 teaspoons)
   2 1/2    tablespoons  sugar
      1/3           cup  vegetable oil
   4              large  eggs
   2 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   2          teaspoons  sesame seeds -- poppy, or caraway seeds, or
a mixture, (or 3), optional

Homemade bagels are easy to make. They taste great and have a
wonderful aroma as they bake. They will not be as perfectly shaped as
commercial ones but you can be sure they will disappear quickly. Use
either a mixer with a dough hook or mix dough by hand. If you're
baking them ahead, you can wrap them in plastic and keep them 2 days
at room temperature. You can also freeze them and reheat them before
serving. (This recipe yields more bagels than other recipes to keep
ingredients easier to measure.)

Notes: Fresh bagels with lox and cream cheese are the quintessential
Jewish brunch treat. In our family, we have always loved this
wonderful combination.

Total: under 4 hours

Sift flour into mixer bowl or another large bowl. Make a well in
center of flour. Pour in 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Sprinkle yeast on
top and add 1 teaspoon sugar. Leave 10 minutes until yeast is foamy.
Add another 2 teaspoons sugar, oil, 3 of the eggs, remaining 1/2 cup
plus 2 tablespoons water, and salt to well in center of flour. Mix
with dough hook or with a wooden spoon until ingredients begin to
come together into a dough. If using mixer, beat dough until smooth.
If mixing with a spoon, when adding flour becomes difficult, mix in
remaining flour with your hands.

Knead dough vigorously on a work surface about 10 minutes or until
very smooth and no longer sticky. Put dough in a clean oiled bowl,
cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or
until light but not doubled.

Then, preheat oven to 400F. To boil bagels, bring 2 quarts water and
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar to a boil in a large saucepan. Add 3 or 4
bagels and boil 1 minute. Turn them over and boil 1 minute. If holes
begin to close, force them open with handle of a wooden spoon. With a
slotted spoon, transfer them to a cloth or to paper towels. Repeat
with remaining bagels.

Put bagels on 2 or 3 lightly floured or greased baking sheets. Beat
remaining egg with a pinch of salt. Brush egg over bagels. Sprinkle
with seeds, if using.

Bake bagels about 20 minutes or until browned; if baking sheets don't
fit on center rack, bake them one above the other and switch their
positions after 10 minutes. If not serving them right away, cool them
on a rack and wrap them.

Make bagel dough and let it rise. (If you prefer, you can make the
dough 1 day ahead, let it rise 30 minutes and punch it down. Then
cover it with a damp cloth or plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out and
refrigerate it overnight. Let it come to room temperature before
shaping bagels.)

Knead the risen dough lightly. Roll dough into a thick log. For every
cup of flour, cut into 3 pieces with a floured knife to make 3
bagels. (4 cups of flour yields 12 pieces.)

Roll each piece of dough into a very smooth ball by holding it under
your cupped palm on an unfloured surface, and rolling it over and
over while pressing it firmly on the surface. The more the dough is
rolled, the more evenly shaped and smooth the final bagel will be.

Flatten one ball slightly. Make a hole by flouring your index finger
and pushing it through the center of the dough ball. Twirl the dough
around your finger on the work surface to stretch the hole; then
insert 2 fingers and continue twirling until hole is about 1 inch in
diameter and evenly round.

Gently pull the edges to even out the shape of the bagel. Transfer
the bagels to a floured board. Cover and let rise 15 minutes. Boil
and bake them as directed in each recipe.

Review: I made these for the 1st time this morning. The texture was
perfect on these bagels but they were lacking flavor. I used the
"make ahead" method hoping this would help the flavors develop more
during the resting period. I didn't add any toppings as I was trying
to recreate the typical egg bagels that I used to eat almost every
morning many years ago when I was working in the North East. This is
a very good starting point though and will post if I'm successful in
coaxing a little more flavor out of these. I was actually surprised
that they came out actually looking like bagels. Have fun with it..

S(Internet address):
   https://www.cookstr.com/recipes/egg-bagels

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 228 Calories; 6g Fat (24.4%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 313mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0514