Multigrain bread

Michael Arnoldi <michaelarnoldi@gmail.com>
Mon, 21 Sep 2020 10:56:02 -0400
v120.n037.1
I have been baking for personal use for over 45 years & have created
my own breads. My favorite daily bread is a Rye/whole wheat blend that
makes a 5lb loaf. For the underlay of the dough, I sprinkle either one
of my favorites. Yellow grits or Sorghum rough ground on my kitchen
Aid flour mill (own discovery).

Sorghum looks like 1/8 inch balls. I rough grind it & sprinkle it on
my baking tray & then place my shaped dough on top & let it rise
before baking.

Chef Arnoldi Multigrain bread (German style)

I created this bread after many trials & errors of trying to recreate
the bread I knew from Berlin.

This makes a 5 Lbs natural shaped bread that I eat daily.

3 cups room temp water
2 T Dry milk
1 T Olive oil
2 t Iodized salt
2 t Kosher salt
1/4 C flax seed
3/4 C Wheat Bran
1 C Whole wheat flour
2 C Rye flour
6-7 C Bread flour
3 t Active dry yeast
--- underlay ---
Yellow corn grits or rough ground Sorghum
---
Notes:
Combine the 11 above in an upright mixer.
Never allow salt to be in contact directly with yeast.
I add only 4 C bread flour in the mix.
The reason for two salts, is that our bodies need Iodine for nutrition.
---

Using a dough hook I let the flours mix into a dough, until it comes
together. Add enough bread flour as needed - this is a method I
created to add sufficient bread flour slowly to the mixer by observing
the dough rotating in the bottom of the mixer bowl. When the dough
rotated without sticking to the bottom (bowl is clean without stuck
dough) then you have sufficient bread flour.

Remove from the mixer dough onto a slightly floured pastry cloth &
knead a few times to combine everything smoothly into a ball. Place
the round dough in a dedicated large round slightly oiled plastic
container with a lid (I call Baka). Allow to rise till double - approx
2 hrs.

Remove the risen dough into pastry cloth. Punch down & shape into a
flat rectangle.

Tightly roll the longer end into a sausage shape, crimping all seams
with fingers and rolling smooth.

Preheat oven to 450F.

On a sheet pan sprinkled with grits or ground Sorghum (underlay)
carefully center the shaped dough on top of the underlay.

Sprinkle the top of the dough with some bread flour & cover to let
rise till almost double (about 1 hr at room temp)

Bake 20 min 450F
Reduce temp 375F for another 20 min.

Remove from oven & place on cooling rack for minimum 6 hrs before
slicing, so as to allow the moisture to evaporate.

I hand slice my bread the next day & place in gallon sealable bags &
freeze. I remove slices from freezer & toast as needed.

Mike Arnoldi