Muffins, Oatmeal Muffins with Dates, Cranberries and Pecans

Tue, 22 Sep 2020 16:27:11 -0700
v120.n037.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

        Muffins, Oatmeal Muffins with Dates, Cranberries and Pecans

Recipe By     :Laurel
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Nuts
                 Posted

   2               cups  rolled oats
   2               cups  all-purpose flour
   1                cup  packed light brown sugar
   2           teaspoon  baking powder
   1           teaspoon  baking soda
   1           teaspoon  salt
   1           teaspoon  cinnamon
      1/2           cup  finely chopped pecans -- or walnuts
      2/3           cup  chopped dates
      2/3           cup  dried cranberries -- Note
   1                cup  unsalted butter -- melted and cooled
   2               cups  buttermilk
   2              large  eggs -- lightly beaten
   1           teaspoon  vanilla extract

Note: I used unsweetened cranberries, but I'm sure sweetened would be
fine.

I doubled the quantities to produce a larger muffin. If you'd prefer
something smaller, feel free to cut all of the quantities by half.

Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease your muffin tin, both inside and
along the top edge. I usually use a silicone pastry brush and a bit
of vegetable shortening. It just takes a few seconds.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking
powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk together well. I ended
up using my fingers to break up any lumps of brown sugar.

Stir in the chopped pecans, dates, and dried cranberries. Again, I
ended up using my fingers to break up the pieces of dates that were
sticking together. Once they're all coated with the flour mixture,
they should no longer clump up.

In another bowl or a large measuring cup, lightly beat the eggs. Add
the butter, buttermilk, and vanilla, and whisk to combine.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry, and gently stir together until
just blended. It's okay if there are still some streaks of flour -
with muffins, undermixing is always better than overmixing.

Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, portion the batter into the
muffin tin. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway
through, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes
out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack for about 5 to 10 minutes
before removing from the muffin tin.

Review: These are fantastic! My batter was more runny, like cake
batter, so I added two tablespoons of flour (we're high altitude, so
that's pretty normal) still runny, but hey, it worked out great! I
appreciate recipes with real ingredients like milk, eggs, and butter.
Just eat them in healthy moderation and actually enjoy the food. Thank you!

Review: Love these muffins! I replaced the traditional oats with
steel cut oats and soaked them in the wet ingredients while preparing
the dry. Yum!

Review: these were really good, I love dates and the next time I'll
double the dates and minus the cranberries (not a favorite).

Source:
   "adapted from Brown Eyed Baker"
S(Internet address):
   http://wannacomewith.com/2013/11/oatmeal-muffins-dates-cranberries-pecans/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 420 Calories; 21g Fat (43.3%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
78mg Cholesterol; 429mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0922