Tender Peach Scones

Wed, 14 Oct 2020 19:26:32 -0700
v120.n039.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Scones, Tender Peach

Recipe By     :King Arthur Baking
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fruit                           Posted

   241                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (2C or 8 1/2 oz)
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   67                 g  granulated sugar -- (1/3C or 2 3/8 oz)
      1/4      teaspoon  ground nutmeg -- *Note, to taste,  to 3/4tsp
   1         tablespoon  baking powder
   85                 g  cold butter -- cut into pieces, 3/8C (6 Tbsp) (3 oz)
   2              large  eggs
   74                 g  vanilla yogurt -- *Note (1/3C or 2 5/8 oz)
      1/2      teaspoon  almond extract
   142                g  diced peach -- *Note, peeled or not (1C or 5 oz)
                         coarse white sparkling sugar -- optional
   1           teaspoon  vanilla extract

These tender, golden scones, warm from the oven, are wonderful with
peach preserves (of course). Or simply enjoy them in all their simple
glory - with a glass of iced tea, if the weather's hot.

*Note: Don't like nutmeg? Substitute ground cinnamon, or simply leave
out the spice altogether.

*Note: Use full or low fat yogurt, not nonfat or sour cream.

*Note: Use fresh, canned, or thawed frozen peaches.

PREP: 15 mins. to 20 mins.
BAKE: 20 mins. to 25 mins.
TOTAL: 35 mins. to 45 mins.

Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it
with parchment.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and
baking powder.

Work in the butter, using your fingers, a fork, or a pastry blender.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt or sour cream,
and the extracts.

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Add the peaches, stirring just until everything is combined. This is
a wet, sticky dough.

Drop the dough by the 1/4-cupful onto the prepared pan; a muffin
scoop works well here.

Sprinkle the scones with coarse sugar, if desired.

Bake the scones for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're light golden
brown. Remove them from the oven, and let them cool on the pan for a
few minutes before transferring to a rack to continue cooling.

Serve warm, or at room temperature. Store at room temperature,
well-wrapped, for several days; freeze for longer storage.

TIPS:
One good-sized peach will yield about 1 cup diced fruit.

Review: I made this recipe exactly as written. I used Kerrygold
butter and southern Illinois peaches which in my opinion are the best
peaches. These were amazing! The peach flavor was definitely there
and the nutmeg and almond extract complimented the peach perfectly.
This is going in my family recipe box.

Review: I love scones ANY scones! I love cinnamon, nutmeg, and
vanilla paired with peaches. So I increased all three for this
recipe. For all the reviewers who weren't pleased with the lack of
sweetness, you have to remember that traditional English scones were
not full of sugar (or flavor). Sugar was a high-priced commodity, so
was used sparingly and mostly by the wealthy. (Remember extra sugar
adds extra lbs.)

Review: I made several changes after reading the reviews about these
being tasteless, and my final product was delicious. I doubled the
sugar, used 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. I also used a full
tsp of almond extract and 1/2 tsp vanilla (I love vanilla and add it
to EVERYTHING I bake). I used more peaches than called for by quite a
bit, but I didn't measure (just used what I had). Now here's the
thing with these changes the flavor is incredible, but the dough was
actually too wet and the baked scones did not have quite the right
crumb. I will try it again sometime increasing the dry ingredients
just a smidge till I get the right finished consistency. With the
changes, these are definitely worth making again.

Review: I have to say thank you for sharing this recipe. I have tried
others, and this is by far the easiest and better to make.. Texture
and flavor were perfect. My only changes were adding vanilla yogurt,
because is all I had, vanilla extract too. The leftovers were even
better, after warming up in the oven. Made then again, but now
blueberries. I can't wait to try another flavor. No more store box
mixes for me. Thank you.

Source:
   "www.kingarthurflour.com"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/tender-peach-scones-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 161 Calories; 7g Fat (37.5%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 52mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0810