Tomato, Basil, Parmesan Focaccia

Sat, 31 Oct 2020 18:21:31 -0700
v120.n046.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Focaccia, Tomato, Basil, Parmesan

Recipe By     :Chris Scheuer
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Italian                         Posted

   1 3/4           cups  warm water -- Note*, (437.5 ml)
   2 1/2      teaspoons  active dry yeast
   1         tablespoon  sugar
   5               cups  all-purpose flour -- plus additional for
kneading, (625 g)
      1/2           cup  finely grated parmesan cheese -- (50 g)
      1/4           cup  extra-virgin olive oil -- (54 ml)
   1         tablespoon  kosher salt -- plus coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
   1 1/2           cups  diced tomatoes -- (223.5 g), I like to use
yellow and red
   2        tablespoons  finely chopped fresh basil
   6        tablespoons  extra-virgin olive oil -- (88.72 ml), plus a
bit extra for drizzling

Tomato Basil Parmesan Focaccia - this Italian-inspired bread may just
be one of the most delicious things you ever put in your mouth!

Prep: 45 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Total: 1:15

Fill a medium size bowl with hot water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes
then discard water (this helps make a nice warm environment for your
yeast to proof) and add the 1 3/4 cup warm water*, yeast and sugar.
Stir to combine.

Put the bowl in a warm place until the yeast is bubbling and
aromatic, 5 to 10 minutes.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a dough hook, combine the
flour, parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, 1/4 cup olive
oil and the yeast mixture on low speed. Once the dough has come
together, continue to knead for 8 minutes on medium speed until it
becomes smooth and soft.

Loosen the dough hook and remove bowl from mixer. Remove dough hook,
scraping into bowl any dough that has clung to it. Move dough to one
side of the bowl with your hand or a spatula. Drizzle a small amount
of olive oil (about a teaspoon) into the bottom of the mixing bowl
and turn dough a couple of times to coat with oil. Cover with a clean
kitchen towel and place bowl in a warm place** till doubled in size,
about 1 hour.

While dough is rising, place diced tomatoes in a colander set over a
bowl. Sprinkle lightly with salt (about 1/4 teaspoon) and let the
tomatoes drain until ready to use. (This will keep the finished bread
from being too wet.)

Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to each of the three 8" round (or square)
baking pans and rub the oil around with your fingers to completely
coat the bottom and sides of pan. (Don't try to use less oil. This
may seem like a lot, but I've cut it back considerably from the
original recipe. Focaccia is an oil crusted bread. That's why it is
so delicious!)

Divide the dough as evenly as possible between the 3 pans. With oiled
fingers, begin pressing the dough out to fit the pans. Turn the dough
over to coat the other side with the olive oil. Continue to stretch
the dough to cover the bottom of the pans. As you are doing so,
spread your fingers out and make finger holes all the way through the
dough. Not just dimples, but actually tear holes in the dough with
your fingers as you press down. This might sound strange, but when
the dough rises again it will create the characteristic craggy
looking focaccia (see picture in post). If you don't make actual
holes in the dough, the finished product will be smooth.

Pat the tomatoes with a paper towel to dry any surface moisture, then
divide them evenly over the three pans. Sprinkle each pan with the
finely chopped basil. Dimple dough again, pushing some of the
tomatoes and basil down into the dough. Drizzle a bit more olive oil
over tomatoes and cover pans with saran wrap and a clean kitchen towel.

Place the pans of dough in a warm place until dough has doubled in
size, about 1 hour. About 15 minutes before dough in finished rising,
preheat the oven to 400F. Sprinkle the top of the focaccia lightly
with flaky sea salt or kosher salt. Bake until the top of the loaf is
golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Remove the focaccia from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes, then
remove from pans and finish cooling on a wire rack. Cool completely
before cutting. Cut into wedges for serving. Serve warm or at room
temperature. Garnish with small fresh basil leaves, if desired.

Cal 158, Fat 6g, Carb 21g, Sod 326ml, Pro 3g

Question: Would love to try this recipe but I do not have a standing
mixer with hook. Is there a workable alternative?
Response: I have found that you don't really need a mixer for bread.
Just mix it as much as you can by hand, then transfer to a lightly
floured work surface and knead the dough by hand.

Review: This recipe is wonderfully versatile (in addition to being
tasty) and, as far as I can make out, no-fail, every time. This time
around I experimented with making different bread shapes. After the
first rise I divided the dough into three portions; one portion was
roughly 55% of the dough, the 2nd portion roughly 50-60% of the
remaining dough, and the third portion what was left. The first,
larger portion became a single focaccia loaf, made that day. I placed
the other two portions in two separate bowls and refrigerated them.
In a day or two, I removed the mid-sized portion of dough and formed
it into a baguette. It rose beautifully (about 1 1/2 hour) and baked
it the same as the focaccia, 400 degrees for roughly 25 min. With the
smallest portion of the dough, a few days after that, I made a dozen
breadsticks, thinly rolled out and allowed to rise in that shape. All
worked out marvelously, browned perfectly, and tasted great. For the
breadsticks, I kept the temp. at 400F but shortened the bake time. I
will make this bread recipe over and over.

Question: I can't wait to try this bread! I'm a novice cook, so this
might seem like a silly question, How are all 3 of the pans
positioned in the oven? 2 on the middle shelf, & the 3rd where? Thank you!
Response: That's a good question. Since these are baked in 8-inch
pans, they'll all fit on the same rack. You may want to rotate the
pans around a bit, halfway through the baking time, so they all bake evenly.

Question: Do you also put the tomatoes on the loaves you're freezing?
Response: Yes, I do. Most of the moisture is removed from the
tomatoes so they don't make the bread soggy, even after freezing and thawing.

Question: This looks like a lovely recipe. I think I'll try it
tomorrow. I have one question: when do you freeze the ones you're not
eating right away? After you've baked it? Before the final rise?
Response: I freeze them after they are baked and cooled.

Review: I could scarf down this whole loaf! It's beautiful! And it
looks so light and fluffy. Thanks for pointing out that tip about
breaking holes into the dough. It really made for a beautiful
surface! (My past focaccias have a dual purpose - they could also be
used as door stops!). I'm looking forward to trying this technique!

Review: I love focaccia, especially nice thick ones like this! Your
toppings are perfect. I've watched Italians make focaccia and it's
almost shocking how much oil they put on it, so I'm not surprised you
reduced it. I do, too.

Review: Looks to me like a perfectly baked goodness!

Source:
   "Adapted from The Food Network"
S(Internet address):
   https://thecafesucrefarine.com/tomato-basil-parmesan-focaccia/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 158 Calories; 6g Fat (36.9%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
1mg Cholesterol; 268mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0720