Savory Gruyere Bread With Ham

Wed, 04 Nov 2020 17:18:24 -0800
v120.n049.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                    Bread, Savory Gruyere Bread With Ham

Recipe By     :Melissa Clark
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   4        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- melted and cooled, plus
more for the pan, (1/2 stick/56 g)
   2 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- plus more for the pan, (325 g)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  baking powder
   1           teaspoon  sea salt -- fine
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
   1                cup  ham -- coarsely chopped ,(180 g)
   3        tablespoons  thinly sliced scallions -- white and green
parts (optional)
   1         tablespoon  fresh thyme leaves -- chopped
   2               cups  grated Gruyere -- or sharp cheddar cheese,
(8 oz/198 g)
   2              large  eggs
   1                cup  buttermilk -- (240 milliliters)

This savory, cheesy bread is as easy to make as any banana bread
recipe. And even better news: You can swap in your favorite cheddar
for the Gruyere, or play around with herbs, add olives, roasted red
peppers...whatever's in your pantry.

Heat the oven to 350F. Butter and flour a metal 9 x 5" loaf pan and
set it aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and
baking soda. Stir in the chopped ham, scallions if using, thyme, and
1 3/4 cups (7 ounces) of the Gruyere (reserving the rest for
topping). In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs,
and buttermilk. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir to
combine. The batter will be thick.

Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and spread it out
evenly, smoothing the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup (1 ounce)
cheese over the top. Bake until the top springs back when lightly
pressed and a skewer inserted in the center comes out with some moist
crumbs attached, 45 to 55 minutes.

Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool for 10 minutes. Then
remove the bread from the pan and let it cool completely on the wire rack.

You can bake the loaf up to 3 days in advance. Store it, well
wrapped, in the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature before
serving. Or freeze it for up to 2 months. After freezing, this is
best sliced and served toasted and warm - and spread with butter if you like.

Review: Holy cow. This is amazing! I followed recipe to a T with the
exception of adding an extra half cup of ham and a few grinds of
black pepper to the dough and top. Delicious during a Minnesota
snowstorm in October!

Review: Definitely a four out of four! Came out beautifully, even
though I forgot to flour the buttered pan. Fortunately it was a
heavy-duty non-stick loaf pan, so it slid right out. It was also
4"x9", so I played it safe and baked it for a full hour, which worked
out well. I changed very little, otherwise. I added fresh cracked
pepper and used jumbo eggs instead of large, because I subbed 1/2 cup
of King Arthur's Super 10 Blend for 1/2 cup of white flour. The
batter was still pretty stiff. The bread was wonderful, and I never
noticed the added fiber. Served it with some frozen vegetable beef
soup I had leftover from the holidays, and added a simple green
salad. Perfect, easy meal!

Review: Excellent recipe! I used sour cream + milk in place of
buttermilk, chopped ham, and shredded Jarslburg. This cake salé
freezes beautifully - such a treat to pop a piece in the toaster oven
for a morning snack.

Review: I made this as written (with the exception of adding a few
grinds of black pepper) and it was all I'd hoped for and more. This
will surely become a mainstay for me, as I am a smitten kitten for this bread!

Review: This is such a creative recipe! Will definitely make it
again. someone asked about sourdough? Just sub 1 cup of discard for
1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup buttermilk. That's it. I made it today and
can only say that this is a real keeper. I also added some ground
pepper to the top before baking just because I love cheese with black pepper.

Review: I was determined to make this bread today, regardless of not
having gruyere, baking powder, fresh thyme and buttermilk. Even with
the substitutions (Swiss, baking soda/vinegar, dried thyme and raw
milk curds and whey) this came together quickly and turned out quite
delicious. It smelled too good to wait longer than 10 minutes to
slice. It was too crumbly. Having some patience and slicing the
nearly-cooled loaf was definitely the way to go. I look forward to
making this again with sharper cheese and a little crushed red pepper flakes.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/savory-gruyere-bread-with-ham-melissa-clark

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 205 Calories; 8g Fat (33.5%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
63mg Cholesterol; 543mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1104