Marbled Rye Bread

Fri, 08 Jan 2021 17:51:13 -0800
v121.n001.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Bread, Marbled Rye

Recipe By     : Red Star Yeast Co.
Categories    : Bread                           Bread Machine
                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Hand Made
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

                         Light Rye Dough
   1 1/4           cups  water
   4 1/2            tsp  vegetable oil
   2               cups  bread flour
   1 1/3           cups  rye flour -- medium
   2               Tbsp  sugar
   1 1/2            tsp  salt
   2                tsp  caraway seeds
   2 1/4            tsp  Active Dry Yeast
                         Dark Rye Dough
   1 1/4           cups  water
   4 1/2            tsp  vegetable oil
   2               cups  bread flour
   1 1/3           cups  rye flour -- medium
   2               Tbsp  sugar
   1 1/2            tsp  salt
   2               Tbsp  cocoa
   2                tsp  caraway seeds
   2 1/4            tsp  Active Dry Yeast

Roll together a dark rye and a light rye dough for a marbled rye
bread - unique, beautiful and delicious.

Yield: 2 loaves

BREAD MACHINE METHOD: Place room temperature ingredients for light
rye dough in bread pan in the order listed. Select Dough cycle. Check
dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in
a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, 1/2 to 1 TBSP
at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 TBSP of flour at a
time. When kneading is complete (do not let dough rise in machine),
remove dough from pan. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to
grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.

Place room temperature ingredients for dark rye dough in bread pan in
the order listed. Select Dough cycle. Check dough consistency after 5
minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it
is dry and stiff, add water, 1/2 to 1 TBSP at a time. If it is too
wet and sticky, add 1 TBSP of flour at a time. When cycle is
complete, remove dough from pan.

Both doughs will be risen enough to continue with the Shaping, Rising
and Baking directions. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful
tips and information.

TRADITIONAL METHOD: For the light rye dough, combine yeast, 1 cup
bread flour, salt, sugar and caraway seeds; mix well. Heat water and
oil to 120 to 130F; add to flour mixture. Blend at low speed; beat 3
minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in rye flour and
enough of the remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Knead on
lightly floured surface 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let
rise until dough tests ripe.

Repeat the process to make the dark rye dough, adding the cocoa to
the flour mixture.

On lightly floured surface, divide each light and dark dough in half.
Roll or pat each half to a 14 x 7" rectangle. For a dark crust, place
a light rye piece on top of a dark rye. For a light crust, place a
dark rye piece on top of a light rye. Starting with shorter side,
roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges
and ends to seal. Working from the center of the loaf to the ends,
gently roll the loaf back and forth to form a baguette shape
approximately 14 inches long. Place on a greased baking pan. Repeat
for second loaf. Cover loaves; let rise until indentation remains
when lightly touched. Bake in a 375F preheated oven for 40 to 45
minutes. Bread is thoroughly baked when its internal temperature
tests 190F. Remove from pan; cool on rack.

*You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active
Dry yeast. When using Instant yeast, expect your dough to rise
faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods:
use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use 1/2 tsp Instant yeast OR 3/4
tsp Active Dry yeast per cup of flour in your recipe.

Cal 150, Carb 28g, Sod 290mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 4g

Question: at what temp do you bake this and for how long?
Response: Per the instructions, bake in a 375F preheated oven for 40
to 45 minutes. Bread is thoroughly baked when its internal
temperature tests 190F.

Review: Recipe worked great. I did not have cocoa and read on another
site that instant coffee could be USES as a substitute. Sadly it did
not work..both l loaves were the same color. I will try again using
the ingredients shown.

Review: I accidently put it in 375 F fan oven... which is about 410 F
in regular oven terms... for 45 minutes.

Anyhow... it turned out great!!

Thank you for a delicious easy recipe

Review: Easy wonderful rye bread. Followed the recipe exactly. Lovely result.

Mine baked in 38 minutes at 375deg gas convect.

Review: Easy to follow recipe. Had fun making the two different color
doughs swirl. One issue that I wanted to share. When stretching the
dough to 14â?³ x 7â?³ size, do not over flour the two doughs. Since
you cut the recipe in half to make two loaves, you get two tries to
get it right. First time we used to much flour and the two colors
didnt stick together when forming the baguette. Well the second time
I made the two a little sticky by using less flour. Now the seams
held together nicely and the ends did as well. About time to put them
in the oven, so TTFN.

Review: This recipe was easy to follow and soooooo good!! Will be
great with turkey pastrami tomorrow. I followed the directions
exactly except for adding a 1/4 tsp of rye bread flavor enhancer to
the light rye. Gave it the bit of dill flavor that I like. It is
beautiful to cut and impressive to serve...I'll be adding this to my
regular rotation of great breads to bake!

S(Internet address):
   https://redstaryeast.com/recipes/marbled-rye-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 225 Calories; 4g Fat (14.4%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 42g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 403mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1224