Crunchy Addictive Italian Anise Taralli

Tue, 02 Feb 2021 19:08:46 -0800
v121.n007.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

               Bread, Crunchy Addictive Italian Anise Taralli

Recipe By     : Maria Vannelli RD
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Italian
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Snacks

   2 1/4      teaspoons  active dry yeast -- (8 g)
   1           teaspoon  granulated sugar
   1                cup  water -- lukewarm
   7                  C  all-purpose flour -- approximately, (1 kg)
   1 1/2       teaspoon  salt
   1         tablespoon  anise seed -- heaping
      3/4           cup  olive oil
   1                cup  white wine

These Crunchy Addictive Italian Anise Taralli are, in my humble
opinion, the ultimate snack food. Traditional Italian baking can
sometimes be a little time consuming, but on the positive side, the
recipes are usually really simple and often a lot easier than you
think.  And it's almost always better than any commercial product you can buy.

The whole process of making these taralli cookies begins by combining
some yeast, water and sugar. While the yeast is doing its thing,
combine the rest of the ingredients and place in the bowl of your stand mixer.

Prep: 5 hours
Cook: 25 minutes
Total: 5:25

In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and water.

Stir and let stand for 10 minutes (will get foamy).

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the rest of the ingredients.

Add the yeast mixture.

With dough hook attachment knead for approximately 10 minutes until
you have a soft, smooth elastic dough. Alternately, you can knead by hand.

Cover loosely with plastic wrap and tea towel and allow dough to rest
for at least 1 hour.

Place the ball of dough on an un-floured wooden board.

Knead the dough for about 1 minute.

Separate the dough into quarters (cover the dough you are not using).

Cut each quarter into 16 pieces. (each piece should weigh about 25
grams-almost 1 oz).

Roll each 25 gram piece of dough into a rope approximately 8" long
and 1/4" in diameter (about the size of a pencil).

Join the two ends together to form an elongated ring and line them up
on a wooden board. (There is no need to flour your cutting board when
you are rolling your taralli. Feel free to adapt any sized ring-shape
when you are making these taralli; if you want thin crispy taralli,
the diameter must be 1/4" thick). Make sure that you press the ends
firmly together.

Bring a large pot of water to boil, then reduce heat so that the water simmers.

Plunge the taralli in boiling water; 3-4 at a time. Once they surface
to the top, remove with slotted spoon. The boiling process (per
batch) should take less than 15 seconds.

Place on cooling rack to drain.

Repeat process until all the taralli have been boiled.

Place boiled taralli directly on oven grates or on a parchment lined
cookie sheet.

Bake in a preheated oven at 375F for 10 minutes, then lower heat to
350F for another 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp. (Set
oven rack in the center).

Notes: Taralli will last about 1 month when stored in a dry place. I
will usually keep mine in a basket, uncovered.I prefer to use the
more pronounced taste of olive oil in my taralli. Feel free to use a
vegetable or canola oil.

Cal 82, Fat 2g, Carb 12g, Sod 55mg, Pro 1g

Review: My mother, first generation Italian American, would slice the
tarelli after boiling them as you would a bagel but not all of the
way through leaving them intact . Then bake them on the oven racks.
They were always a challenge to get them to rise to about 2" high.
She would make a thin lemon flavored icing. I thought they were the best.

Question: Just made a batch and the flavor was spot on but the
texture was a little more soft and chewy then I remember how can I
get a little more crunchiness
Reply: As every oven heats up a little differently, perhaps you can
leave them in the oven to bake a little longer... they will
definitely get crispier. You might have to lower the heat a little so
that they don't overbake.

Review: This recipe is spot on for the Calabrian Tarrali that my
grandmother would make. She used either anise, fennel or black pepper
and always boiled first for that glossy finish! My grandmother Maria
was from Bisignano, a small mountain village just outside of
Consenza! Not surprising that this recipe is so similar to hers. She
shaped them in a circle and tied them in a knot before boiling.

Review: I have made taralli since I was a young girl with my aunt and
mom. My aunt's recipe was a little of this and that, a handful of
fennel or anise and once around with oil. It was always hit or miss,
because it was not exact. This recipe is the best I have tried. I
think I am on the fifth trial of different recipes. They came out
delicious, light, perfectly browned and they have that nice shine.
Thank you! Comfort food at it's finest!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.shelovesbiscotti.com/crunchy-addictive-italian-anise-taralli/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 76 Calories; 3g Fat (33.3%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 51mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0202