Walnut Potica Bread

Fri, 05 Mar 2021 16:00:25 -0800
v121.n010.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Bread, Walnut Potica

Recipe By     : Vicky Bryant
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Ethnic                          Hand Made
                 Nuts                            Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   1 1/2      teaspoons  active dry yeast
      1/4           cup  sugar -- white
      1/4           cup  milk -- lukewarm
   1                cup  butter -- softened
   6                     egg yolks
   1 1/3           cups  milk
   5               cups  all-purpose flour
   1           teaspoon  salt
   1                cup  butter -- melted
   1                cup  honey
   1 1/2           cups  raisins
   1 1/2           cups  walnuts -- chopped
   1         tablespoon  ground cinnamon

This is a wonderful bread from Slovenia with a sweet, nutty filling.
Due to the spelling and pronunciation (paw-tee'-tzah) it's very hard
to find the recipe.

Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 1 hr
Additional: 1:30
Total: 3 hrs
Yield: 2 loaves

In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 3
tablespoons of the flour in warm milk. Mix well, and let stand until
creamy, about 10 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl cream the butter with the remaining sugar. Add
the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add
the yeast mixture, remaining milk, 4 cups of flour and the salt; mix
well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after
each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a
lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8
minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and
turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm
place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Lightly grease one or two cookie sheets. Deflate the dough and turn
it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two
equal pieces and roll Out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Spread each
piece with melted butter, honey, raisins, walnuts and cinnamon. Roll
each piece up like a jelly roll and pinch the ends. Place seam side
down onto the prepared baking sheets. Let rise until double in
volume. Preheat oven to 350F (175C).

Bake at 350F (175C) for about 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

Cal 306, Fat18g, Carb 35g, Sod 174mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 5g

Review: I live in Slovenia (for 11 years) and speak the language. I
also have a Croatian heritage and my grandmother made potica. Just
for the record, the correct pronunciation is po-tee-tza. This recipe
is really authentic. It is traditionally made for Christmas and Easter.

Review: A tip for potica makers. Roll your dough on a floured cloth.
After you spread the filling over the dough, pick of the end of the
cloth and gently pull letting the dough roll over on itself. You'll
be able to get the dough paper thin and reduce tearing. Also, grind
the walnuts into a paste instead of chopping them, this will keep
them from ripping the dough. This dough is exactly like the recipe I
use. The filling is a little diff. I've noticed many variations.

Review: I have made potica for over 20 yrs. (but) my dough recipe has
to be made the night before. I found this one so I could make it the
same day. The dough is wonderful easy to make and wonderful to work
with and that means alot because the rolling of the dough is the
hardest and most time consuming. thank you for this recipe.

Review: This is just like my recipe except mine has 5 egg yolks. For
best results, follow tips posted: chop nuts in a food processor to an
almost paste-like consistency, roll dough on a floured table cloth.
You want it VERY thin! Dough should be about 55" x 35". Here is my
tip: As you are rolling the dough/filling, prick w/something very
thin (I use a cake tester from Pampered Chef). Keep making several
pricks across the length of the dough after every turn. This will
keep air out and prevent the dough from getting thick as it bakes.
The end result will be a nice, tight spiral. Follow these tips and
you will have a DELICIOUS potica!! If anyone has a recipe for a
chocolate potica.

Review: Awesome! It tastes amazing coming out of the oven! I told my
mother I made it and she said she had a potica pan to put the loaf
in. Will try that next time. I will probably add more nuts next time
also. It took a good chunk of the afternoon to make but a lot of the
time was waiting for dough to rise. Growing up Slovenian I always
heard what a process it was but it is definitely do-able! Incredible
recipe even for me a first-timer!!!

Review: I grew up having this for Christmas every year. My
Grandmother would make it and the whole family looked forward to it.
With several grandchildren it was an honor when we were old enough to
learn this art. It is a time consuming recipe but well worth the
effort. We have always used pecans but walnuts would be a less
expensive alternative. There are also some minor differences in this
recipe and the one I grew up with. It's bitter sweet to see this
recipe posted as my family has always kept it a secret but it really
is good enough to share. This bread gets better and better the more
you make it. TIP: don't over-knead and try to use as little flour as possible.

Review: A very difficult recipe to make indeed especially for someone
like me who has no bread making experience whatsoever! Be sure to
roll the dough out to be very thin. My first attempt was not that
successful but not so unsuccessful that I will not try to make it
again. Even though my potica turned out to be quite ugly it tasted pretty good!

Review: I made this for easter and it was a hit with the family. this
was my first time making bread

Review: My Great-Grandmother was famous for this!!! I now make this
dough in the bread machine set on the dough cycle with a
cinnamon-roll-bread recipe. Then generously roll it out smear it with
butter and sprinkle on finely chopped walnuts sugar and cinnamon
generously. Just roll it up tight and it comes out wonderful everytime!!

Review: Two big loaves...sure didn't last long. Family devoured them!
I added chopped dates to the recipe. Made something that was already
really good really great.

Review: I like my aunt's recipe in a pinch but this one is ok. I
totally agree with two helpful hints. Roll this dough out on a clean
sheet it helps roll the dough over itself. Also use food processor to
make the nuts as fine as possible. We have always rolled it around
itself and then cook it in an aluminum turkey roasting pan.

Review: my mom and dad would make this every christmas and we would
have it at breakfast. my mom would always roll it up like a jelly
roll then roll it into a circle like a snail pinching the edges
closed. my sister make it for the family now and it is just like my moms

Review: Made this for a new year's party. Absolutely delicious and
not too hard for a bread-baking novice. I used whole wheat pastry
flour and ground the walnuts in a food processor. Super yum.

Review: Worth the effort!! I am a novice cook but really wanted to
recreate my late Romanian Grandmother's famous Christmas walnut roll.
It's been over 20 years since I've tried it so I didn't have clear
memories of what it even looked or tasted like. As soon as my parents
took a bite of this they immediately said "This is just like Mom's!"
What a compliment! I love that I am able to bring back some family
tradition at the Holidays. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Review: My grandmother used golden raisins which makes it sweeter and
they plump up a bit more. This is my favorite treat with a little
butter or cream cheese. A little expensive to make but I am worth it!

Review: I haven't tried this recipe but it certainly looks authentic
from what I remember. Potica is also made with a poppy seed filling
which I actually prefer.

Review: I haven't tried this recipe as of yet but similar to my
fathers growing up. He use to make these at Christmas time for our
Catholic church parish. GREAT sliced on a plate with butter and
heated in the microwave. Euchre and potica after midnight mass every year!

Review: his is the best recipe for the dough part I have ever made. I
make potica every year and I did make some changes based on my
previous experience for the filling. I whipped up the egg whites and
doubled the nut filling. I added the egg whites to the nut filling
and spread it out on the dough. Perfect. My rolls were huge. I made 2
large nut rolls and 1 roll I made into a snail shape. Thanks I will
use this recipe from now on. Beats Martha S which uses sour cream in
her dough mixture.

Review: This isn't the same recipe my Grandmother gave me but it's
very similar. However this seems to come out as a roll. My
Grandmother's is meant to be a loaf like bread. We have this every
family get-together and it goes FAST. To be fair we also have 30 people though.

Review: Great recipe just watch temp if u have a fan force oven it
needs to be lower than 175 I had mine on 170.

Review: Walnuts should be ground not chopped and walnuts amount be increased.

Review: I tried this recipe after being inspired by Rick Steve's
Easter in Europe special. Slovenian Easter bread with honey nuts and
raisins? Sign me up! Overall this recipe was okay. A few things I
noted: 1) to form a good dough ball I needed about 1/4 c more flour
(so 5 1/4 c). I used a kitchen aid mixer to mix and knead which
worked well. 2) be generous with the butter cinnamon walnuts and
honey filling - I would add more if I made this recipe again 3) the
floured towel trick to roll the loaf that other reviewers mention
worked great for me 4) the bake time says 60 min. I took mine out at
45 min and it was already slightly overdone. If this is your first
time making this recipe keep a close eye on your oven.

Review: Grind the nuts very fine roll dough out about 3x5 ft. on a
cloth use an oval turkey pan and roll it around itself to fill pan.
Brush with egg white before baking. This will give you a beautiful bread.

Review: I decided to make this for a school project. Instead of using
the dough recipe I used Pilsbury Dough Sheets because it is easier. I
also bought chopped walnuts and crushed them more by putting them in
a Ziploc bag and used a meat mallet tenderizer to wack them. It was delicious!

Review: I am a second generation Canadian-Slovenian, and I've eaten
potica my whole life. My grandmother's recipe was (like most) not
written down, so I am very happy to have found this one. The only
reason I am giving it 4 stars is that from what I'm used to, the
filling needed some changes. Otherwise the taste and texture is 100%
spot on, and the recipe is easy to follow. I've used this recipe
twice. The first time I made it, I did it by the book, exactly as
written. The critique from my more experienced relatives was that 1)
there was not enough filling and 2) it was not sweet enough. 1) Part
of the filling issue could have been because I used traditional round
potica pans - sort of like a square-sided bundt pan. I also rolled
the dough on the thinner side of the recommendation. The second time
I made this recipe, I used about 4 cups of (small food processor
ground, not chopped!) walnuts, and 1 1/2 cups of raisins - but I only
put raisins in one of the loaves. So the one with raisins had fewer
walnuts, and I just made sure the filling was about equal in each.
Some people like potica with raisins, and some people really don't!
2) The not sweet enough issue was actually related to the first issue
- because of the directions, the honey/butter mixture was hard to
apply without making a mess and the first time I made it, it seemed
like a huge quantity of honey/butter. The second time I made this
recipe, I incorporated the honey/butter into the walnut and raisin
mixture and spread it.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17236/potica/#nutrition
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 306 Calories; 18g Fat (50.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
77mg Cholesterol; 206mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1229