Spinach Muffins

Mon, 12 Apr 2021 19:58:53 -0700
v121.n015.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Muffins, Spinach

Recipe By     : Megan Gilmore
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Low Fat                         Muffins/Rolls
                 Nuts                            Posted
                 Vegetables                      Vegetarian

   1                     banana -- ripe, (6 to 8 ozs)
      1/4           cup  water
      1/4           cup  almond butter -- or any other nut/seed butter
   1                     egg -- or a vegan flax/chia egg; see note
      1/4           cup  honey
   1               cups  spinach -- fresh baby, loosely packed, (to 2C)
   1                cup  rolled oats -- certified gluten-free, if needed
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/4      teaspoon  ground cinnamon -- optional
      1/2      teaspoon  vanilla extract
      1/8      teaspoon  salt

These healthy Spinach Muffins are made with fresh spinach,
gluten-free oats, banana, and a touch of honey for a naturally-sweet
muffin my kids love! Egg-free option included. These are mini-muffins.

Cook: 15 min
Total: 25 min

Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a mini muffin tin.

Into a blender container, add the banana, water, almond butter, egg,
honey, spinach, rolled oats, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla, and
salt, in that order. (Liquids on the bottom help facilitate blending
better.) Blend until very smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.

Pour the green batter into the prepared mini muffin cups. I usually
get 22 to 24 muffins out of this batch, depending on the size of the
banana. If you like to measure, I use about 1.5 - 2 tablespoons of
batter per muffin cup.

Put the muffin tin in the preheated oven and bake until the muffins
rise and feel firm to a light touch in the center, about 15 to 17
minutes. The edges should turn lightly golden, and might crack a bit.

Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool at least 30
minutes before removing them from the muffin tin. I find that using
my fingers to twist them out of the tin helps them release easily,
but you can also run a knife around the sides of the muffin to help
get them out.

Muffins can be stored at room temperature for 24 hours, but I
recommend storing them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.

Notes: For a vegan version of these muffins, use a flax or chia egg
to replace the egg called for. No need to mix the egg ahead of time;
I just add 1 heaping tablespoon of ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons
of water to my blender, with the rest of the ingredients. I also
recommend adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in this case, to
react with the baking soda and help the vegan muffins rise. Instead
of honey, use maple syrup. The vegan version is slightly "gummier" in
texture, but still totally passable as a muffin.

If you can't have oats, try adding a handful of spinach to this
flourless peanut butter banana muffin recipe instead. It's naturally
sweetened and you could use almond butter instead of peanut butter
for a paleo version.

I'm not sure how these would work in a full-sized muffin tin. My kids
only like mini muffins, so that's the only way I've tested this
recipe. I don't think the vegan version would work as well, with more
middle needing to cook through, but the egg version might be okay
with a cook time of closer to 25 to 30 minutes.

Calories: 47, Fat: 1g, Carbohydrates: 6g, Fiber: 0g, Protein: 1g

S(Internet address):
   https://detoxinista.com/spinach-muffins/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 48 Calories; 2g Fat (35.1%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
9mg Cholesterol; 29mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0224