Herb and Garlic Bubble Loaf Bread

Fri, 04 Mar 2022 19:46:27 -0800
v122.n008.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Bread, Herb and Garlic Bubble Loaf

Recipe By     : King Arthur Flour Co.
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   418                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (3 1/2C or 14 3/4 oz)
   2          teaspoons  instant yeast
   21                 g  instant potato flakes -- or potato flour,
(1/4C flakes or 2 Tbsp flour or 3/4 oz)
   28                 g  nonfat dry milk -- or Baker's Special Dry
Milk, (3 Tbsp or 1 oz)
   1         tablespoon  sugar
   1 1/4      teaspoons  salt
   57                 g  soft unsalted butter -- (1/4C or 2 oz)
   152                g  lukewarm water -- (2/3C or 5 3/8 oz)
   113                g  lukewarm milk -- (1/2C or 4 oz)
                         COATING
   57                 g  melted unsalted butter -- (1/4C or 2 oz)
   2          teaspoons  Italian seasoning -- or Pizza Seasoning
   2          teaspoons  minced garlic

Bubble loaf, pull-apart bread, and monkey bread are all synonyms for
the same delicious combination of soft, tender bread and sweet or
savory decadent coating. This version will make you think garlic knot
in loaf form; it's perfect for sharing with friends.

PREP: 20 mins. to 30 mins.
BAKE: 30 mins. to 35 mins.
TOTAL: 2:50 to 4:05
YIELD: 1 loaf

To make the dough: Combine all of the ingredients, and mix and knead
- by hand, stand mixer, or bread machine set on the dough cycle - to
make a soft, smooth dough.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and allow it to rise for 60
to 90 minutes, until it's just about doubled in bulk.

Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface.

Divide the dough into 32 pieces by dividing in half, then in halves
again, etc. Don't worry about making them exactly even or shaping
them into balls.

Pour a generous layer of olive oil into the bottom of a 10" monkey
bread pan or tube pan.

To make the coating: Combine the butter, seasoning, and garlic.

To assemble the loaf: Dip each ball of dough into the coating
mixture, then place in the pan in a single layer; you'll need to
squeeze them in.

Cover the pan, and allow the dough to rise until quite puffy, about
60 to 90 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350F.

Uncover the pan. Bake the bread for 30 to 35 minutes, until its
surface is golden brown, and a digital thermometer inserted into the
middle of the loaf registers 190F.

Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a
rack. Serve warm.

Tip: If you don't have a monkey bread or tube pan, a 9" round
casserole dish or a 9" x 2" cake pan will work well, also.

Review: If you don't have a monkey bread or tube pan, a 9" round
casserole dish or a 9" x 2" cake pan will work well, also.

Review: Super easy, very tasty. I love the dough! It was a pleasure to kneed.

Review: I made this today and it is so tasty. I did sprinkle a
healthy dose of Parmesan cheese on the dough balls before baking. The
texture inside is great and it had a nice crunch on the outside. I am
not sure it is going to survive until tomorrow! It was fun to make
and came out looking beautiful. This recipe is a keeper.

Question: Made this for a small dinner party and it was such a
success I want to make it again for Thanksgiving. Can the recipe be
doubled or should I make two batches separately?
Response: Yes: as a general rule of thumb, most yeast bread recipes
can be easily doubled. You can simply double all of the ingredients,
using anywhere from 1-2x the amount of yeast called for in the
original recipe. The amount of yeast used can vary depending on your
preference, with more yeast leading to a faster rise but less flavor
development, and less yeast leading to more flavor development but a
longer rise.

Review: Decided to try this recipe today. After I started, I
discovered we are out of powdered milk. I had Vermont Cheese Powder
so I substituted 2 tablespoons for the milk. It has been out of the
oven 30 minutes and my wife and I have eaten half the pan! Highly
recommend using the cheese powder. Will use this one often.

Review: Oh so yummy! I had to substitute Bread Flour (plus 2 Tbsp
extra water), but the potato flakes kept the bread tender. I don't
have the KA pan, so I baked it in a cast iron chicken roaster (molded
with a center tube for holding liquid to steam the inside of the
chicken). It worked great and the bread ring stayed together when
unmolded! Delicious and crispy on the outside. I use "roasted"
garlic. Here's a hint: Wrap a whole head of garlic in foil with a
Tbsp of olive oil and put it in the oven to bake while the bread is
also baking. Let it cool in the foil, then store in the fridge.
You'll then have plenty of freshly-"roasted" garlic for other recipes.

Review: The potato flour leaves this bread quite moist and fluffy, as
evidenced by my family completely devouring the loaf in one sitting.
Mine first loaf came out of the oven after 30 minutes, beautifully
tan and just sightly firm to the touch, and subsequent loaves have
reproduced identical results.One caveat: The dough was far too
adhesive to try and simply slice through it, even after adding almost
an extra 1/4 cup of flour. Dividing it was better achieved by
pressing a large knife down into it and rolling the two cut halves
away from the blade. Doing it this way made it quick an easy, as
opposed to fighting the dough sticking to the knife. (I also tried
with the sharp edge of a KAF dough scraper, but it stuck to the
plastic even worse than it had to the steel knife.)I made a slight
adjustment and added an extra teaspoon of seasoning and garlic to the
butter dip (total of a tablespoon each, or as close as I can get the
garlic by eye). As far as the garlic goes, use fresh at all times; in
a pinch I tried rehydrating some dried minced garlic, and the result
was less than satisfactory. The bread was still eaten, of course, but
the difference was noticeable. Mincing works well, but I prefer to
process mine through a garlic press. That's probably just a chef
preference, though, as I don't imagine that it affects the overall
flavor of the bread appreciably.All in all, this is a recipe that I
fully intend to make again and again, and I can very easily see it
becoming a staple of family gatherings.

Review: Super easy, very tasty. I love the dough! It was a pleasure to kneed.

Review: I made this today and it is so tasty. I did sprinkle a
healthy dose of Parmesan cheese on the dough balls before baking. The
texture inside is great and it had a nice crunch on the outside. I am
not sure it is going to survive until tomorrow! It was fun to make
and came out looking beautiful. This recipe is a keeper.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/herb-and-garlic-bubble-loaf-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 222 Calories; 8g Fat (34.2%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
23mg Cholesterol; 321mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0506