Sprouted Spelt Bread At Home

Tue, 29 Mar 2022 20:10:03 -0700
v122.n011.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                    Bread, Sprouted Spelt Bread At Home

Recipe By     : Larry Lowary
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Grains                          Low Fat
                 Posted

                         Sponge
   93                 g  spelt flour -- whole, (I used freshly milled)
   79                 g  water
   1 7/8              g  salt
   1 7/8              g  malt
      1/2             g  yeast
                         Final dough
   877                g  spelt berries -- sprouted, ground in a meat
grinder or a food processor
   292                g  spelt flour -- whole, (I used freshly milled)
   77                 g  water -- divided
   93                 g  raisins -- briefly soaked & pureed to a slurry
   19                 g  salt
   12                 g  instant yeast
   47                 g  honey
   23                 g  vegetable oil
   175                g  sponge -- (all of the sponge)

The original formula called for raisin juice concentrate which is
both very difficult to find and super expensive. Larry's solution is
to add warm water to raisins in the food processor and make a slurry.
It works just fine. The bread can probably be made without it but as
Larry explained, raisins have mold-inhibiting properties. They have
been used for years to prolong bread's shelf-life

It is best to sprout more than needed as sprouted grain can be kept
in the freezer (scale the quantity you need in ziploc bags and take
it out as needed 24 hours ahead of time)

If whole spelt flour isn't available, white spelt can be used
instead. The crumb will look a little bit lighter

If the sprouted grain has been kept in the fridge, use hot water

The sponge can be made up to four days ahead and kept in the fridge

The water percentage is very low because the sprouted grain is
soaking wet. In case you need or want to drain the grain ahead of
time, you will need to adjust the water amount

Mix ground-up sprouted grain with all of the liquids for two or three
minutes on first speed, then add all the dry ingredients and mix
again on first speed until desired dough consistency is reached (4 to
5 minutes)

Then mix on second speed for 5 to 7 minutes

Desired dough temperature: 80F/27C

Ferment for one hour

Scale at 800 g

Pre-shape as hard as possible in a tight roll

Shape as a tight batard

Proof for about one hour at 85F/29C

Bake for 50 minutes at 400F/204C (or lower depending on your oven
as the raisin slurry and the honey put the dough at risk of burning
at high heat)

You know that the bread is done when the sides are brown and no longer pliable

Enjoy!

Review: This is gorgeously tasty bread - thanks for letting us have a
taste! and for writing about it.
How kind of your friend Larry to share with you how to make this
bread; very nice documentation of the process, start to finish!
The raisin paste looks like a great way to sweeten the dough -
interesting that the raisins prolong shelf-life too, but this bread
is so delicious we'd eat it right up and wouldn't have to worry about
testing the theory!

Question: Now I am wondering about the taste of the bread right after
baking and the next day - you are definitely an expert bread taster,
getting all the nuances of flavor!
Reply: Oh, no, not an expert, but definitely a bread head!!!

Review: Interesting to know about the raisins extending the bread's
shelf life! I don't have a grinder, so I won't be able to make this
myself, but I still enjoyed reading about the process and seeing the
photos of your beautiful trip to Whidbey.

Review: Re: grinder. I held off making the bread for years after I
took the workshop at SFBI in San Francisco because I didn't have a
grinder either but I was rereading my notes the other day and the
instructor actually said you could grind the sprouted grain in a food
processor. Just do it in small batches so as not to overheat the
machine. Maybe it's worth a try? I know you are interested in fitness
and nutrition and sprouted spelt bread is considered a powerhouse,
nutritionally speaking.

S(Internet address):
   http://www.farine-mc.com/2012/12/sprouted-spelt-bread-at-home-baking-saga.html
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 184 Calories; 2g Fat (7.7%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 339mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2022 - 0329