Pretzel Sandwich Buns

Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:12:44 -0700
v122.n013.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Buns, Pretzel Sandwich

Recipe By     : King Arthur Baking
Categories    : Bread Machine                   Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted                          Snacks
                 Stand Mixer

                         Dough
   1 3/4           cups  water -- warm, (397g)
   2        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- (28g)
      3/4      teaspoon  salt
   4 1/2           cups  Bread Flour -- Unbleached, (540g)
      1/4           cup  nonfat dry milk -- or Baker's Special Dry Milk,  (28g)
   2          teaspoons  instant yeast
                         Topping
                         pretzel salt -- or coarse salt, e.g., Sel Gris
                         Water Bath
   2             quarts  water -- (1814g)
   1         tablespoon  salt -- (18g)
      1/4           cup  baking soda -- (57g)

Soft pretzels are always a favorite. We've discovered that their
distinctive texture and flavor also complements many varieties of
sandwich fillings. In particular, we like these buns with a generous
scoop of maple-mustard chicken salad.

PREP: 20 mins
BAKE: 22 to 26 mins
TOTAL: 1 hr 57 mins

Weigh your flour; or measure it by gently spooning it into a cup,
then sweeping off any excess. Mix and knead the dough ingredients -
by hand, mixer, or bread machine - to make a smooth, slightly sticky dough.

Allow the dough to rise in a lightly greased bowl, covered, for about
1 hour, until doubled.

Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface.

Divide the dough into 10 pieces and shape each piece into a smooth
ball. Alternatively, for instructions on how to shape long sub-style
sandwich buns, see the tip below.

How to shape long sub-style sandwich buns,:

Lightly grease a baking sheet; or line the sheet with parchment and
grease the parchment. Place the balls on the baking sheet, cover, and
let rest for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400F.

Prepare the water bath: Bring the water, salt, and baking soda to a
boil in a large pot.

Drop 5 dough balls at a time into the water bath.

Cook for 30 seconds, flip over, and cook for 30 seconds longer. Using
a slotted spoon, return the buns to the baking sheet.

Using scissors or a sharp knife, cut 1/2"-deep crosses into the
center of each bun. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.

Bake the buns for 20 to 24 minutes, or until they're a deep-dark
brown. Remove them from the oven, and transfer to a rack to cool.

Tips from our Bakers: These pretzels can also be shaped into long
stuffed sandwich-style buns, perfect for grilled sausage with peppers
and onions or brats and sauerkraut. After the first rise, simply
divide the dough into eight pieces, shaping them each into a ball.
Flatten the balls into 6" disks and roll them into logs, pinching the
seam and ends to seal. On a clean, dry work surface (no oil, no
flour), use two hands to drag each log toward you; the friction of
the work surface should seal the seam and smooth out the surface of
the bun. Let the buns rest for 15 minutes, then boil and bake them
according to the recipe instructions, slashing them diagonally or lengthwise.

Our easy pretzel mix makes wonderful sandwich rolls. Use the
directions on the mix box to bring the dough through its first
30-minute rise. Divide the dough into six pieces and form them into
balls, flattening them slightly so that they're more disk-shaped. Let
the buns rest for 15 minutes, and prepare the water bath as
instructed on the box. Place the buns in the water bath, and cook for
20 to 30 seconds on each side. Snip and salt the buns as directed in
the recipe above. Transfer the buns to the well-greased cups of a
hamburger bun pan (or a parchment-lined baking sheet), and bake in a
preheated 400F oven for 18 to 22 minutes, until they're a deep golden
brown. Remove them from the oven and cool on a rack. Yield: 6 pretzel buns.

Interested in baking these pretzels with lye instead of baking soda?
While wearing eye protection and rubber or latex gloves, mix 20g
food-grade lye into a non-reactive bowl holding 500g cold water and
stir to dissolve. Transfer your shaped pretzel to the bath and let
soak for 10 to 15 seconds. Place the pretzel on a stainless steel
rack over parchment to catch any excess solution. After a few
minutes, transfer the dipped pretzel to a silicone or parchment-lined
baking sheet. The dough can then be scored, salted, and baked. To
dispose of the diluted lye solution, pour it directly down the drain,
then follow with a few seconds of cold water from the sink faucet.

Cal 230, Fat 3g, Carb 43g, Sod 780mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 8g

Review: I must admit I'd never had pretzel buns before, but these are
incredibly good! I had to bake them in two batches, and just letting
the second group rise while the first group bakes is no problem at
all. They are very soft and fluffy on the inside and the perfect
salty, crunchy pretzel on the outside!

Do make sure the seams of the rolls are clRead more about review
stating Salty, Soft and Perfect!osed really well, one of mine burst
because the seam wasn't fully closed.

Review: Made these last night for crispy fried chicken sandwiches.
Perfect. Easy and delicious. No dry milk so reduced water by 1/4 and
added milk.

Review: I've been using this recipe every time we make burgers and it
has never failed to be delicious! It's definitely a crowd pleaser! I
once substituted milk for milk powder, and, while it was still tasty,
it didn't have the signature flavor of a pretzel bun. When I've
substituted AP flour for bread flour, they are still delicious, but
they end up a liRead more about review stating My go-to burger bun
recipe!ttle wrinkly. For burger buns, I roll these into 8 balls
instead of 10, otherwise they are a bit small for burgers. Overall, I
would definitely recommend this recipe!!

Review: Have been buying store bought pretzel buns but decided to get
brave and make these. These buns were so easy to make and the taste
is so much better than the store bought. Another family favorite from
KA!! Came out perfectly, followed directions exactly.

Review: Made these for the first time and they were incredible.. I am
thinking about rolling long logs and making bite size to eat with a
dip or mustard.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/pretzel-sandwich-buns-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 256 Calories; 3g Fat (12.1%
calories from fat); 9g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 7mg Cholesterol; 2335mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 2022 - 0415