Pretzel Cocktail Buns

Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:47:50 -0700
v122.n013.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Buns, Pretzel Cocktail

Recipe By     : Ashley
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Low Fat
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Posted
                 Stand Mixer

      3/4           cup  milk
      1/4           cup  water
   1 1/2    tablespoons  sugar
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast
   2 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- to 3c Note:
   3        tablespoons  butter -- softened
   1 1/4      teaspoons  sea salt
   3               cups  hot water
      1/4           cup  baking soda
   1                     egg yolk -- lightly beaten
   1         tablespoon  water
                         coarse salt -- for sprinkling

These little buns are the perfect vessel for piling on basically
anything your heart desires - our tailgates usually boast stacks and
stacks of deli meats and cheeses, but also smoked meats that are
pretty much the bomb.  It's a smorgasbord to Heaven, basically.

Note: can use any flour such as whole grain but adjust water as needed

Heat and stir milk, 1/4 cup water and sugar in a small saucepan over
medium heat, until the liquid reaches 110 to 115F. Remove from heat
and pour into the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the packet of yeast
over the top and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes, or until foamy.

Add 2 1/2 cups of flour, the butter and the salt. Beat on low speed
with the hook attachment to combine, about 5 minutes. Turn speed to
medium-high and mix for an addition 8 to 10 minutes, or until a soft
dough forms. If the dough is sticky, you may add in additional flour
- I used about another 1/2 cup. You'll want the dough to be slightly
sticky, but able to pull away from the sides of your bowl easily.

Turn the dough out onto a dry surface and knead a few times. Shape
dough into a ball. Place dough into a greased bowl, turning once to
coat. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and place in a warm spot to
rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn out onto a dry surface and divide into 12
equal portions - roll each into a smooth ball. Mine were about golf
ball size. Place dough balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment
paper or a Silpat. Cover an let rest for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425. In a deep pot, combine hot water and baking
soda. Drop dough balls, one at a time, into the hot water mixture
with a slotted spoon. Turn once to make sure the entire surface of
the dough ball is covered with the water. Remove balls and blot the
bottoms dry with a paper towel. Arrange the balls on your prepared
baking sheet, about 1 1/2 inches apart.

Combine egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Brush the
tops of the dough balls with the egg wash, then sprinkle with coarse
salt. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the buns turn a deep golden brown.

Review: I made these Xmas eve for Turkey sliders. They had a great
yeasty butter flavory. Some notes on my experience:
golf ball -size is the operative word, these rise and spread during
the 30 minute rise after the buns are formed. The small size bakes
faster and browns nicely, any bigger and they are good, but hamburger bun size
i adjusted the salt a little. These are "pretzel" buns so they are
salty and the addition on cold cuts or whatever filling for instance
will add to the salt, I also used a good sea salt, table salt can
impart a bitter taste, so the addition of a decent salt is key.
mIne took longer than 10 minutes to bake., but my oven is not great.
I kept them in the oven until they were a deep brown. It's a moist
dough so a good browning didn't over-bake them. Enjoy and thanks for
the recipe, Ashley!

S(Internet address):
   https://kitchenmeetsgirl.com/pretzel-cocktail-buns/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 143 Calories; 4g Fat (26.0%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
28mg Cholesterol; 1495mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2022 - 0415