Garbage Bread

Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:26:36 -0700
v122.n014.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                               Bread, Garbage

Recipe By     : Karen
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

                         For dough:
      1/2           tsp  honey
   1                cup  water -- warm
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- or instant yeast
      1/2           tsp  olive oil
      3/4           tsp  kosher salt
   2 1/2           cups  flour
                         For filling:
   1              pound  ground beef
   1                cup  onion -- diced
   1                tsp  Montreal steak seasoning
   2                tsp  Worcestershire sauce
   1               Tbsp  ketchup
   1               Tbsp  mustard
   5             slices  bacon slices -- cooked and crumbled
      1/3           cup  dill pickles -- diced
   1 1/2           cups  cheddar cheese -- shredded
   1                     egg -- beaten

Scrumptious bacon cheeseburger filling is rolled up in dough and
baked. It's fun to make and eat!

I don't know where the term "garbage bread" came from but I stumbled
across it the internet and immediately I knew that I must try it.
Basically it's a pizza dough rolled up with delicious filling inside
and baked. There are all sorts of fillings that could go in garbage
bread. I chose to make a bacon cheeseburger filling. And it turned
out sooooo good.

Tips For Making Instant Pot Garbage Bread:
If you have picky eaters you can double the recipe and make two
different types of garbage bread! Or do what Rachel did, "I split the
dough into two and made one for the kids with pepperoni and one for
me and the hubs with salami and chopped mushrooms added."
I like to use a stand mixture fitted with a dough hook to make my
dough. I use a Bosch Mixer* that's got to be from the 80s. But it's
the best. If you don't have a stand mixer you can stir the dough
together in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
Use warm water, almost hot. I stuck tap water into the microwave for
about 45 seconds.
If you don't have a yogurt button on your Instant Pot then you will
place dough in a bowl and let raise on the counter for 1 hour.
Use a silpat* to roll the dough out on and then just move the mat on
top of the baking sheet.
Let the filling cool a bit. If you put it on the dough when it is hot
it might cause holes.
Roll slowly. Be patient. If you get a hole in the dough just try to
repair it the best you can. I had holes in mine and it still looked
great and tasted delicious!
By brushing the outside of the loaf with egg it causes a beautiful
brown crust. Beat the egg and then gently brush* the egg over all
exposed sides of the loaf.
If you're looking to keep the loaf warm until dinner wrap it in foil
and place in the oven on warm setting.

Make the dough by adding honey and water into your mixer. Sprinkle in
the yeast and let it foam up for a couple of minutes. Add in the
olive oil, kosher salt, and a cup of flour. Mix. Then gradually add
in the rest of the flour and mix. Once the dough starts pulling away
from the sides of the bowl you are done mixing. You may need to add a
few extra tablespoons of flour to get it to that point.

Spray the liner of your Instant Pot with non-stick cooking spray.
Form the dough into a ball and place it into the Instant Pot. Press
the yogurt button on your Instant Pot and adjust until it is on LESS
setting which will read 24:00 on the display. Cover the Instant Pot
with a plate or towel and let the dough raise for 30 minutes.

While dough is raising prepare your filling. Heat a pan over medium
high heat (you can also use the sauté setting of your Instant Pot
after dough is done). Add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in
the onions and brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off excess grease.
Turn off heat.

Season with the Montreal steak seasoning. Stir in the Worcestershire
sauce, ketchup, mustard, bacon and pickles. Set aside.

Once dough has risen for 30 minutes, punch it down. Place the dough
on a floured countertop or on a silpat* that fits inside a rimmed
baking sheet. Roll the dough into a large rectangle (about 11" by
14"). Place the dough carefully onto a rimmed baking sheet that is
lined with parchment paper (or simply lift the silpat onto the rimmed
baking sheet).

Spoon the meat mixture over the dough leaving a 1" border along all sides.

Sprinkle the cheese over the top.

Fold over the three of the sides 1". Leave one of the long sides
unfolded. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg over all four sides.

Start rolling the dough (like cinnamon rolls) from the unfolded side.
It's easiest if you lift up the parchment or silpat to help you roll it.

Pinch the seam. Position seam side down on the baking sheet.

Brush the entire loaf with the egg wash (it will give it a nice,
brown color). Then use a small knife to make about 6 diagonal slits
for venting.

Bake at 500F for 8 to 10 minutes and then lower the temperature to
375F and bake for 10 to 12 minute longer.

Let it cool for 5 minutes and then use a serrated bread knife to
slice into 2" pieces.

Serve with fry sauce for dipping, if desired.

NOTES: If you don't have a yogurt button on your Instant Pot then you
will place dough in a bowl and let raise on the counter for 1 hour.

Cal 350, Fat 12g, Carb 34g, Sod 587mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 24g

S(Internet address):
   https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-garbage-bread/#tasty-recipes-25529-jump-target

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 456 Calories; 26g Fat (50.9%
calories from fat); 22g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
100mg Cholesterol; 562mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0424