Focaccia Barese

Sun, 25 Sep 2022 18:24:21 -0700
v122.n028.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Focaccia Barese

Recipe By     : Dora Travaglio
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Posted
                 Potatoes

   1 1/8      teaspoons  active dry yeast
      3/4           cup  water -- warm, (110 to 115F), divided
      1/2      teaspoon  sugar
      1/3           cup  potato flakes -- mashed
   1 1/2      teaspoons  olive oil -- plus
   2        tablespoons  olive oil
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
   1 3/4           cups  bread flour
                         TOPPING:
   2             medium  tomatoes -- thinly sliced
      1/4           cup  Greek olives -- pitted, halved
   1 1/2      teaspoons  oregano -- minced fresh or dried
      1/2      teaspoon  coarse salt

This focaccia recipe has been in my mom's family for several
generations. It's one of my most requested dishes. In fact, some
hosts tell me I can't attend their parties unless I bring this with me!

Prep: 30 min. + rising
Bake: 30 min.

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add sugar; let
stand for 5 minutes. Add the potato flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil,
salt, 1 cup flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in
enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8
minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch
dough down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 10" cast-iron or other ovenproof
skillet; tilt pan to evenly coat. Add dough; shape to fit pan. Cover
and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

With fingertips, make several dimples over top of dough. Brush with
remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Blot tomato slices with paper towels.
Arrange tomato slices and olives over dough; sprinkle with oregano and salt.

Bake at 375F for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.

Cal 147, Fat 4g, Carb 24g, Sod 269mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 4g

Reviews: Many years ago I ate commercial focaccia and was
unimpressed. When I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it. My
husband and I loved it. I can't wait to make it for company. Although
it serves 8 people my husband and I could not stop eating it and ate
it all. But a big question. The recipe said to use 1 3/4 c of flour.
The mixture would not take that much flour. I used the cup plus maybe
a 1/4 c. Is the recipe wrong or do I have a problem? Also I let mine
rise in an 8 qt instant pot on the yogurt low 30 min setting. It was
so fast and easy.

Reviews: This is an excellent recipe. I made this in my old Bread
Machine (Magic Chef Model 200). I purchased this machine in a thrift
shop and it does not mix ingredients or bake very well. That's fine
with me, I mix the dough ingredients a little by hand, add to the
Bread Machine, remove the dough after rising and bake in the oven. I
love my Magic Chef b/c it finishes the mixing and the dough rises
perfectly every time in 1 1/2 hours. For this recipe dough, I mixed
the dough ingredients in a bowl (I didn't proof) and placed in my Pam
sprayed Magic Chef. Then I set it to #7: "dough", the bell sounded 1
hour 30 minutes later. I removed the dough and let it rest for 10
minutes, and then, followed Step 3 for the second 30 minute rise. I
used a 10" cast iron pan as recommended. For Step 4, I made the dough
dimples, and mixed 1 tablespoon Olive Oil and 1/2 teaspoon dry Basil
and brushed on the dough. I didn't have tomatoes or olives so my
Focaccia had no topping other than the olive oil and basil. My
Focaccia was ready in 30 minutes. This is a marvelous Focaccia. I
think the potato flakes kick it up a notch! I've made it 3 times already. Yum.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/focaccia-barese/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 181 Calories; 7g Fat (33.8%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 236mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0412