Ben Mims' Perfect Cornbread

Fri, 30 Dec 2022 20:47:25 -0800
v122.n036.9
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Cornbread, Ben Mims' Perfect

Recipe By     :Southern Living
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Cast-Iron Skillet               Grains
                 Posted

   1                cup  cornmeal -- plain yellow
   1                cup  all-purpose flour
   1         tablespoon  baking powder
   1           teaspoon  kosher salt
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
   2               cups  buttermilk
   2              large  eggs
      1/2           cup  butter

If you're wondering how one can possibly make classic cornbread even
better, we can provide two helpful hints: cook it in a cast-iron
skillet and brown your butter. That's just what recipe developer Ben
Mims did when he created this recipe to pair along with his Cornbread
Pudding with Whiskey Caramel Sauce. This cornbread recipe doesn't
call for even a teaspoon of sugar - savory cornbread enthusiasts will
be happy to know. Ben Mims' Perfect Cornbread is a no-frills,
good-as-it-gets recipe for a Southern classic that you won't be able
to pass up. Another tactic we've found to catapult cornbread to
best-ever status is getting that skillet nice and piping hot before
adding in the batter. This helps a thick crust form around the edges
from the get-go - a must-have as far as we're concerned. While this
recipe is used in our Cornbread Pudding with Whiskey Caramel Sauce,
don't be surprised if your family starts to request it a la carte.
It's just that good.

Hands-On: 20 mins
Total: 55 mins

Preheat oven to 425F. Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a large
bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and eggs; stir into cornmeal mixture
just until combined. Heat a 10" cast-iron skillet over medium-high
heat until it just begins to smoke. Add butter, and stir until butter
is melted. Stir melted butter into cornbread batter. Pour batter into
hot skillet.

Bake at 425F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and cornbread pulls
away from sides of skillet. Invert cornbread onto a wire rack; serve warm.

Revew: I've been making this cornbread for about 5 years. I was
looking up southern cornbread recipes with no sugar. Found the Ben
Mims recipe and it is my cornbread recipe now. It's flatter and
denser than most cornbread but the buttermilk makes this taste
fantastic. By the way Ben Mims isn't who you think he is. Look him up
and you will see what I mean.

Revew: Okay, so I was just looking for a classic cornbread recipe and
found this. Didn't have a cast iron skillet, so just melted the
butter in a heavy 8x11 casserole in the oven while it preheated. Ran
out of eggs, so subbed mayo (pretty much just eggs and oil anyway).
No buttermilk or even regular milk, so subbed my plant-based milk
(bean milk) with some vinegar in it. Didn't even notice there was no
sugar in the recipe until it was ready to go in the oven! After all
that, I wasn't expecting much but boy, was I wrong! The edge is so
crusty and yummy! The bread is so moist and absolutely delicious! Try
it! You'll like it!

Revew: I have made this a few times now. I liked it, it was a little
less "corn" like than I liked. I went ahead and made it with 1 cup of
milk (instead of 2) and one 14.5 oz can of creamed corn. To me, that
made it much better.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/ben-mims-perfect-cornbread
Yield:
   "8 to 10"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 266 Calories; 14g Fat (46.5%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
86mg Cholesterol; 657mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1204