Southern Biscuits

Sun, 26 Feb 2023 21:06:57 -0800
v123.n005.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Biscuits, Southern

Recipe By     : Alton Brown
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   2               cups  flour
   4          teaspoons  baking powder
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
      3/4      teaspoon  salt
   2        tablespoons  butter
   2        tablespoons  shortening
   1                cup  buttermilk -- chilled

Prep: 20 min Cook: 20 min
Total: 40 min

Preheat oven to 450F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and
salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry
ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better,
you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour
in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together.
The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold
dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1" thick round. Cut
out biscuits with a 2" cutter, being sure to push straight down
through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just
touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and
continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as
light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

Cook's Note: Advice courtesy Mae Skelton I don't have much use for
recipes but the one you get on a bag of White Lily® self-rising flour
is hard to beat. And it's a lot easier than the one my crazy grandson
dreamed up.

Cal 121, Fat 4.5g, Carb 17g, Sod, 331mg, Fiber 0.5g, Pro 3g

Review: Just took them out of the oven. They are so fluffy &
delicious!!! So glad that I tried this recipe. No more Pre-made
biscuit mixes for me!

Review: Excellent biscuits, omitted the shortening and went all
butter. Flavor was increased and still flakey. Good stuff!

Review: Biscuits were nice and tall the way my family likes them. The
second pass biscuits weren't as light but were still very "pretty" in
presentation.

Review: Easy and delicious. Melt in your mouth good. Served with
sausage gravy and honey butter. Nothing left on their plates.

Review:

I've never made homemade biscuits before this morning. Was always
afraid they'd turn out like hockey pucks. This recipe was not only
simple, but I always have the ingredients. They turned out great, and
were devoured by the family, everyone asking, "Are there any more?"
No more canned biscuits for this home, thank you Alton!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-biscuits-recipe-2041990

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 121 Calories; 4g Fat (33.2%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
6mg Cholesterol; 363mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Non-Fat
Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1013