Borsch Culture Bread

Sun, 19 Mar 2023 21:28:04 -0700
v123.n007.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, Borsch Culture

Recipe By     :Paul Barker
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

                         Borsch:
   200                g  wheat bran
   100                g  polenta
   2500               g  water
   1              slice  bread -- toasted
   3                     bay leaves
                         Dough:
   1000               g  white bread flour
   24                 g  salt
   400                g  borsch culture -- Note:
   400                g  Borsch water
   675                g  + water

Note: (100% hydration twice fed daily using wholemeal flour for 2 days)

Used after 3 days.

2-3 hour bulk with 3 s&f. (shape & fold)

Shape

Prove

Retard 12-36 hours

Baked under a pot with a dash of water to enhance the fish eyes ??

Lovely lively dough.

I've been making bread using the water from a Romanian Bors (borsch)
which is a fermentation used in Eastern European cooking.  It is made
by fermenting bran, polenta, toast, bay leaves and water.  It was
fizzy in two days and ready for bread making from say 3.  Used about
75% hydration.

I made this with the guidance of Irina Georgescu author of a lovely
Romanian cookbook Carpathia.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.facebook.com/groups/287359331685436/?multi_permalinks=1056915494729812