Country Crust Sourdough Bread

Sun, 02 Apr 2023 21:00:46 -0700
v123.n008.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                       Bread, Country Crust Sourdough

Recipe By     : Beverley Whaley
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Hand Made
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   4 1/2            tsp  active dry yeast -- (2 pkgs/1/4 oz each)
   1 1/4           cups  water -- warm, (110 to 115F)
   1                cup  Sourdough Starter
   2               cups  all-purpose flour
   2 1/2            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1 pkg/1/4 oz)
   2               cups  water -- warm, (110 to 115F)
   2              large  eggs -- room temp
      1/4           cup  sugar
      1/4           cup  vegetable oil
   1           teaspoon  salt
   6               cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 6 1/2C)
                         Melted butter

For many years, I've been making 45 loaves of this bread for an
annual Christmas bazaar, where we feed bread and soup to over 300 folks.

Prep: 20 min. + rising
Bake: 30 min.
Makes: 2 loaves (16 pieces each)

Starter: In a covered 4-qt. glass or ceramic container, mix flour and
yeast. Gradually stir in warm water until smooth. Cover loosely with
a kitchen towel; let stand in a warm place 2-4 days or until mixture
is bubbly and sour smelling and a clear liquid has formed on top.
(Starter may darken, but if starter turns another color or develops
an offensive odor or mold, discard it and start over.)

Cover tightly and refrigerate starter until ready to use. Use and
replenish starter, or nourish it, once every 1-2 weeks.

To use and replenish starter: Stir to blend in any liquid on top.
Remove amount of starter needed; bring to room temperature before
using. For each 1/2 cup starter removed, add 1/2 cup flour and 1/2
cup warm water to the remaining starter and stir until smooth. Cover
loosely and let stand in a warm place 1-2 days or until light and
bubbly. Stir; cover tightly and refrigerate.

To nourish starter: Remove half of the starter. Stir in equal parts
of flour and warm water; cover loosely and let stand in a warm place
1-2 days or until light and bubbly. Stir; cover tightly and refrigerate.

Sourdough Starter Tips
What is the best flour for a sourdough starter?
Bread flour is best for sourdough starters, but all-purpose flour can
also be used. Learn more about the different types of flour and when
to use them.

What is the best container to keep sourdough starter in?
Select a jar or ceramic container that's at least 4 quarts, which
will give the starter lots of room to grow. A container with a lid
can be helpful, too. Once your starter has been going for awhile, you
can keep it in a smaller jar in the fridge.

Does sourdough starter go bad?
Sourdough starter can go bad if neglected. Make sure to keep on top
of the feeding and discarding. The starter may darken, but if it
turns another color or develops an offensive odor or mold, discard it
and whip up a new one.

What happens if you don't feed your sourdough starter?
Forgetting to feed your sourdough starter for long enough periods
will kill the yeast and organisms you've worked hard to cultivate.
After all, making sourdough is quite different than your traditional
yeast bread making. If you've only missed one feeding, you may be
able to bring it back with some feeding and careful watching.

Do you stir sourdough starter before using?
To use and replenish your sourdough starter, stir to blend in any
liquid. Remove the amount of starter needed and bring to room
temperature. For each 1/2 cup starter removed, add 1/2 cup flour and
1/2 cup warm water to the remaining starter and stir until smooth.
Cover loosely and let stand in a warm place for 1-2 days or until
light and bubbly. Stir; cover tightly and refrigerate. Follow this
step-by-step sourdough starter guide for more tips like these!

Country Bread:
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the Sourdough
Starter, eggs, sugar, oil, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth.
Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8
minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover
and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
half. Shape into loaves. Place in 2 greased 8x4" loaf pans. Cover and
let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 375F for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with butter.

Cal 131, Fat 2g, Carb 20g, Sod 79mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: This was my first try at making starter and bread.  It was
easy and turned out great.

Review: This recipe, made with taste of home's sourdough starter
recipe, knocked it put of the park on the first try.  An excellent
recipe that will be my go to bread from now on.

Review: However this recipe also called for yeast.  Yeast seems to be
a shortage in my area due to the Covid-19 pandemic so was hoping for
recipe just using sort dough starter so I halved the recipe to try
anyway,  The bread turned out fantastic.  Great flavor. Raised
nice.  However only giving 4 stars (as in my opinion) not a true
sourdough bread. Thankful that Taste of Home are including SOME
of  the Nutrition Facts, however portion size of 1 slice is extremely
vague.  Depending on amount of raise, shape of bread, thickness of
slice these facts are not really accurate.  There should be a weight
value in grams, ounces and amount of portions per recipe would even
help.  I've noticed the size amount is not including in the
nutrition facts of any of the recipes that I look at. Portion amounts
are very important in Nutrition Facts, Look at labels for store
bought items, it is required. For individuals on specialized diet
restrictions this would be extremely helpful.   I would love to have
a big thick 1" slice but guessing that is not the correct slice
size.  Plus it would help if you made smaller or larger loaf pans.

Review: Good starter recipe.  Made it as stated but will tweak it
next.  Going to add a 1/4 cup more starter for more flavor.  You will
NOT need all the flour.  I used 6 cups and it was too much.  5 would
have done it.  The dough will be sticky but kneading will help that.

Review: I put a new spin on it. I used the bread machine! It turned
out great! I added the wet ingrediants first and then the dry and put
the yeast on top and covered it with the flour. Let it knead, rise,
knead again and took it out and put it in the greased pans for the
second rising. Wow! you could almost watch it rise! I put them in the
oven at the temp and time you said in your recipe and they came out
beautiful! We are having our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, and I
can't wait to try it out! Happy Thanksgiving everyone

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/country-crust-sourdough-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 156 Calories; 2g Fat (14.0%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
13mg Cholesterol; 73mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0430