Re: Digest bread-bakers.v098.n015

Fred Smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:52:43 -0500
v098.n016.16
On Sat, Feb 21, 1998 at 03:09:19PM -0800, bread-bakers-errors@lists.best.com wrote:
> From: Tario <Tario@mcn.net>
> Subject: Storing bread.
> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 08:14:09 -0600
>
> THEY SAY: Best to store bread at room temp, not in the fridge.
>
> I SAY: Yeah, if you like mold do it that way! But if you DON'T want mold,
> the fridge temp keeps the bread free from mold longer!

And I say if youre planning to keep that loaf and eat it later (like,
when you finish the one you're working on today) keep it in the FREEZER
until you need it. It'll be almost like new when defrosted, even if it
has been frozen for weeks.

The trouble with keeping bread in the refrigerator is the starch
crystallizes much faster than at room temperature, making the bread
'stale' much more quickly. So, what I do about that, in warm weather
when mold may be a problem (I live in New England, if you're in the
south or tropics it may be much worse for you) is to cut a loaf in
half and put half back into the freezer and use just the thawed half.

Fred

--
 .----    Fred Smith    /