Adding gluten or Vitamin C

"Russell J. Fletcher" <gimplimp@teleport.com>
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 00:19:14 -0800
v098.n016.17
Sorry for a newbie question, but why add the ascorbic acid or gluten to the
flour, since
bread baking flour (at least the white kind) has ascorbic acid already added?

Is it for other types of flour?  Grinding you own flour?
Please let me know.  I'm sure it is something to make bread even better.

Thanks
Russ

On Saturday, February 21, 1998 3:09 PM, bread-bakers-errors@lists.best.com
[SMTP:bread-bakers-errors@lists.best.com] wrote:

> From: Karen Wheless <kwheless@rockland.net>
> Subject: Ascorbic Acid
> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 21:13:29 -0500
>
> >While I have you handy:  I ordered some ascorbic acid from King Arthur.
> >Two ounces of the stuff is a tiny amount.  Does anyone know of a source
> >of ascorbic acid that comes in bigger packages?  I checked a GNC store,
> >and they have ascorbic acid with rose hips.
>
> You can just buy Vitamin C tablets, and crush them up.  They do have some
> inert ingredients in them (mostly starch), but not much, and they work
> fine.  (You can get the "natural" kind, but the other ingredients in the
> cheaper brands are harmless.)  I buy a huge bottle at Costco, and each
> tablet has 1000 mg of ascorbic acid, I'm not sure how that compares to the
> pure stuff from King Arthur.  I've had good luck using it, I made a
> wonderful loaf crushing up two tablets in a 2 lb recipe.
>
> Karen

> Karen Wheless
> 		 kwheless@rockland.net
>      Wear the old coat and buy the new book.