vol.98 no.015

Ruth Warren <herblady@netnitco.net>
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 07:26:40 -0600
v098.n017.10
> How many teaspoons is 1 pkg of yeast?-- 1 pkg.=2 1/4 tsp
------------------------
 Vicki asked: > I've wondered if you can't get the store bought
> bread texture
> when using an ABM.
 I've not quite gotten the real smooth looking stuff from the store in
my bread, that's just fluff anyway. A good white ABM baked bread will
have some texture, but will be smoother. Especially if you have the
right balance of flour and liquids. Tell your husband that the store
stuff is that, just stuff, the bread you are baking him is better and
healthier, etc. Schmooz a bit. You may have to sell it a bit. Son-in-law
is that way, but if I don't do my herb breads, etc. and make him a plain
white, he seems pleased.
-----------------
Tracy asked: > some recipes in some of my bread cookbooks for 2 lb
> machines. How do I
> go about reducing the recipe?
Most of the cookbooks I have list ingredients for 1 1/2# loaves as well
as 2# loaves. If your's don't, get one that does. Actually not really
kidding. I find it isn't worth the hassle to refigure recipes, there are
so many out there either in books or on the net, why bother? At least
that's my lazy philosophy. I've got better things to do with my time.
And in all honesty, a dill bread is a dill bread is a dill bread, with
just a few tweaks.(to use dill bread as an example--I'm on that kick
now)
I've found the Conway and Rehberg books to work good everytime, and
REALLY don't need any others. BUT they are fun to have, and I justify to
myself that I need them for my classes I teach!

Think I've rattled on enough.  Ruth

  * Visit me at http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/8785 *