new at this

TISZY@aol.com
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 02:04:22 EST
v098.n017.11
I was reading in the posted articles from Mitch about making your own gluten.
I do buy the gluten at the health food store.  I don't buy bread anymore at
the store and have been trying to figure out how to be very cost effective.

I buy the yeast at Sams now and was really amazed a the price difference.  So
MUCH cheaper,

I buy the gluten and use it with my all purpose flour instead of bread flour.
I have great results.  I put one tablespoon of gluten to a 1.5 lb loaf.  The
bread turns out great.

Mitch, can you give me more specific information about how to use the homaded
gluten?  I don't really understand.  How do you turn it into a powder form?
How much of that you made, do you use to make 1.5 lb loaf?  Any more detailed
information would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone else out there has a recipe for glueten and I would also greatly
appreciate it.

Also, I store my bread in a big tupperware container and it is fine, however,
it does not last long.  About 3 days.  What is all this talk about Absorbic
Acid and what does it do.  Someone was talking about using Vitamin C.  How do
you do it and how much for a 1.5 lb loaf?

So sorry for all the questions.  I got the breadmaker (westbend plus) for
Christmas and I love it.  I make bread everyday.  It really gets the wear and
tear.  I never buy bread anymore at the store.  When I use the gluten the
bread is fluffy.  The texture is light with no holes.  The only thing I don't
like is the paddles (two of them) get lodged in the bread and when they come
out make a big long hole in the bottom.  The only thing I do is at the 1:56
time I take the bread out, remove the paddles and grease the two metal
sticking out.  I also reshape the bread so it can come out pretty.  I don't
really like doing this because I can't leave the house and come back to fresh
bread.  If anyone out there has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

I have never posted before, but have read many many posting.  If I did it
wrong or sent it the wrong way, please let me know.  I just hit the reply
button.  Was that right?

This is a great newsletter and I always look forward to having it in my
mailbox.  Thank you all.