Eggless baking

Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 07:37:00 -0800
v098.n018.16
I have had a couple of requests to re-post this.  I was the original
contributor and have cut and pasted it from a previous Bread Bakers

Hello, bakers!

One of the recent BBD's had a list of substitutions for wheat flour in
baking.  My son has an egg allergy, and I got the following Egg
Substitues from the Food Allergy Network cookbook.  They also have a web
site at  http://www.foodallergy.org/

Egg Substitutes

Use any one of the follwing recipes to substitue eggs in baked foods.
For each egg, use:

1 tsp. baking powder, 1T. liquid, 1 T. vinegar, or

1 tsp. yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water, or

1 T. apricot puree, or

1 1/2 T. water, 1 1/2 T. oil, 1 tsp. baking powder, or

1 packet plain gelatin, 2 T. warm water.  Do not mix until ready to use.

Ener-G foods also has a product called "Egg Replacer."  It is a powder
made of various starches and leaveners that, when used as directed, acts
like eggs in baked goods.  I have not had the gumption to try their
recipes for eggless quiche and Lemon Meringue Pie, tho. <g>  You can get
the product at health food stores.  If you can't find it, contact the
company:

Ener-G Foods
P.O. Box 84487
Seattle, WA  98124-5787
1-800-331-5222

I have used a combination of the Egg Replacer and the apricot puree (try
baby food if you have no blender) in my Christmas Stollen, and it worked
beautifully.

I expect my son to outgrow his allergy in a couple of years (please,
Lord, let it happen!), and I plan to go on a baking frenzy.  I don't
expect any of the replacements to work very well in cream puffs and
brioche, but they do pretty well in cakes, cookies, and pancakes.

Keep Baking!

Ruth