Re: sour dough bread

"Bill Hatcher" <bhatcher@gc.net>
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 16:11:38 -0500
v098.n024.5
Connie -

I am afraid your salesperson was misinformed.

Sourdough starter is a solution, or powder which WAS a solution before drying,
that has become "infected" by yeast spores either intentionally propagated
into
it or from "wild" spores from the atmosphere or other sources.

When you use sourdough starter, it is exactly the same principal as using
commercially prepared yeast; you are just getting the yeast from a different
source, and it usually is not in quite as concentrated a form; that is why
sourdough bread usually takes longer to rise.  Of course, that different
source
is what gives some sourdough breads such a wonderful aroma and taste. :))

More specifically to your husbands problem, normally I would expect all active
yeast fungii to be killed off during the baking process, but please do not
have
him start eating bread on my say-so.  If he can eat "supermarket" sliced
bread,
then I should think he could eat home made bread using yeast.  I don't know if
your husband's problem is yeast itself or one of it byproducts, but we are
literally immersed in a soup of yeast; it is in the air, and to some extent in
just about anything we ingest.  Were I him, if I were not absolutely sure what
the "no yeast" prohibition was based on, I would try to get something a bit
more
definitive from whomever told him not to eat it.

Regards.

Bill Hatcher
bhatcher@gc.net
Southampton County, Virginia, USA