Yeast behavior

Tom A Brown <EUSTOBR@am1.ericsson.se>
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 11:02:46 -0500
v098.n030.9
	Bread yeast & brewer's yeast are different, apparently not
interchangible.{due to flavor?]
     I am interested in the differences in how yeast(s) behave.  How can
such a simple mold be so smart??

    I realise it takes a tangent away from just bread, so sorry in
advance, and skip it if your not interested.

	I have a excellent [meaning I don't know the answer!] conundrum
on which some
     of  the brilliant & diverse minds that read these postings
     perhaps could shed some light.
	 Home brew beer and soda both use (the same) brewer's yeast.{
Why not bakers yeast?
       And why not bake bread with Brewers yeast?}
    I "know" that yeast acts on the sugar to produce carbon
     dioxide (the  "fizz" in technical terms) and alcohol.  I also
thought I knew that
     the yeast continued doing this until the "food" (sugar/starch) ran
out or the
     alcohol concentration got to high, with the latter being the norm
for
     alcoholic beverages. But such is (obviously) not the case with
soda.
     Why is there no alcohol produced in the homebrew soda process, and
     what stops the yeast?  The two batches I've tried have varied from
     slight fizz to moderate fizz -(variation between bottles) -never
alot
     of fizz. Yet I know there is still a lot of sugar in there! (And no

     alcohol!??)   What part of Chemistry 101 did I miss?
                        Tom Brown