The cinnamon bread worked AND bagle question.

mhh@ior.com
Mon, 04 May 1998 10:57:56 +0000
v098.n037.14
I asked a question a two weeks ago why the swirl of cinnamon mixture
seperated and made a holes in my bread. Well I tried the consensus of
omiting the butter in that mixture this weekend, and it worked! The
family raved :-)

My next question is, why do bagels flatten down? The ones I made looked
great before cooking, they didn't seem over raised, yet when I boiled
them they flatten by at least a third and didn't pop up when baked.
Tasted great, didn't seem too dense, but were UGLY.

Melody

Here is the recipe I used. OK I admit I love cinnamon in bread.

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                          Cinnamon-Raisin Bagels

Recipe By     : The Bagel Bible - Marilyn & Tom Bagel
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Melody                           Reg 4
                Bagel serch

   2      1/4 oz pkgs   active dry yeast
   3      tbsps         honey
   1      tbsp          salt
   2 3/4  c             high-gluten bread flour
   1 1/2  c             golden raisins
   1      tbsp          ground cinnamon
   2      tbsps         sugar
   2      c             whole wheat flour
     1/4  c             yellow cornmeal

Make the dough the usual yeast dough way. Let rise once. Divide dough
into twelve equal sections. Take a section and roll into ball. Poke
thumbs into center and work around to make hole lager that size of a
quarter. Repeat with remaining sections. Spread 1/4 cup cornmeal on each
of two trays or wooden cutting boards and place eight formed bagels on
each about 1" apart. Cover with clean dish towel and place in a warm
draft-free spot for 20 minutes to rise. Remove towel and place boards or
trays of bagels in refrigerator for 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to
400. In large pot bring 3 quarts of water and 1 tsp sugar to a boil.
Prepare two cookie sheets by spreading them with some additional
cornmeal. After refrigerating an hour, remove bagels  and place them
four at a time in boiling water. (kettling) The perfect bagel when
kettled should sing to bottom of pot of boiling water and rice
immediately. Boil for about 4 minutes, turning bagels over every 30
seconds or so with slotted spoon. If they don't sink to the bottom don't
worry However if they sink to bottom and lie there whit until they rise
to top and they will before timing your 4 minutes. After kettling remove
bagels with slotted  spoon and place them on top of clean towel for few
seconds to drain. Then place bagels on cookie sheets (8). Bake 35
minutes or until golden. After taking them out of oven remove the bagel
form cookie sheets and cool on rack 10 minutes.
REG 4 shared by Melody Holcomb-Hockin, Washington, USA

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 172 Calories; 1g Fat (3% calories
from fat); 4g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 538mg Sodium

_____