Missed you, did I? (And need some help...)

ptj <gypsy-witch@rocketmail.com>
Mon, 4 May 1998 07:33:42 -0700 (PDT)
v098.n037.13
Hey, Reggie, I came THIS close to meeting you. I moved to Portland
about six months ago and was planning to go to the parts of the IACP
that were open to the public (apparently, homemakers are not
considered culinary professionals...okay, I'll quit grousing...) but
had a family emergency at the last minute... Sigh. I hear it was a lot
of fun, though. (I've heard of the Bob's Red Mill (sp?), but where or
what is the bakery you mentioned?)

[[ Pearl Bakery, near NW 9th AV and Burnside -- Jeff]]

At any rate, I need a couple of things that the wise and wonderful
folks on this list might be able to supply.

I've made three attempts at a sourdough starter and every single one
has died. These are starters that include yeast and that will, when
done, be sealed up and refrigerated. After two or three days, each one
has just gone flat, separating into a greyish water on top and gluey
flour paste on the bottom. Any suggestions? What might I be doing
wrong, or does anyone have a favourite way to make one that has always
worked for them?

Also, speaking of Brother Juniper...there is a bakery here called
Marsee Bakery (it's a chain, expensive but tasty) that sells something
called Struan. I remember seeing a recipe for this in the Brother
Juniper book, but I'd borrowed that from the library and thought the
recipe was too complicated so I didn't copy it. At any rate, does
anyone have the recipe and is willing to share it? $3 or more a loaf
is just ridiculous when I know I could bake it myself... Of course,
considering how many different flours went into the struan recipe in
the book, I wonder if baking it myself would really save money... <grin>

BTW, I moved to Portland from Denver, CO. Lest there be any doubt in
anyone's mind...there really IS a difference between baking at high
altitude and baking at sea level. Bread recipes that have failed me
for years are suddenly successful.... I thought I'd just lost my
touch...

Must toddle along, as my 15 minutes a day on-line are about up.....

*BB*

gypsy

===

Visit Hearthstone Community Church on the Web at
www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4213

The gods move in mysterious ways. Sometimes it falls to us mortals to
read them the road map...