Pre-mix vs. standard flour

Terry <terry1@ihug.co.nz>
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:10:06 +1200
v098.n044.14
Hi fellow bakers,

I am new to this list so I hope I don't break any rules :)

I have a bread making machine but find that I only use it to knead the dough
as I found the loaf pan almost impossible to remove from the machine while
still hot and if I left the bread in till the pan cooled the bread was damp
and the crust soggy from condensation.
I now use the "dough" option only and find the bread is so much nicer.
My main reason for writing is:

Why does pre-mix flours intended for bread maker bread, seem to be so much
nicer than standard flour?
Bread made from standard flour does not rise as well and the resulting bread
is that much heavier.
Pre-mix is more than twice the price of high grade/bread flour and would
like to use that rather than the pre-mix.
Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Terry
-
email: terry1@ihug.co.nz
"It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and
remove all doubt" - anon
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6426