Re: Pre-mix vs. standard flour

TaktEZ@aol.com
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 15:48:59 EDT

>Why does pre-mix flours intended for bread maker bread, seem to be so much
>nicer than standard flour?
>Bread made from standard flour does not rise as well and the resulting bread
>is that much heavier.
>Pre-mix is more than twice the price of high grade/bread flour and would
>like to use that rather than the pre-mix.
>Can anyone help?

>>Hi Terry

>>Actually, your problem is hard to diagnose not being able to look at the
>>recipe you are using.  Send a copy and I'll see if there is some obvious
>>discrepancy.

>>>Hi Don,

 >>>Ok my recipe calls for:

>>> 600g High Grade/bread flour (+/- 4 cups)
 >>>8g Dry Yeast
 >>>300ml luke warm water ( alittle less than a cup)
>>> 100mls cooking oil
>>>1 tablespoon brown sugar
>>> pinch salt

Hi Terry

I didn't realize you were on the metric system in New Zealand.  I also didn't
realize that you weighed ingredients.  Most of us home bakers here in the U.S.
measure ingredients volumetrically.  Anyhow, no big deal I have converted your
recipe into equivalents that I am more accustomed to and the results are shown
below:

600g    bread flour     equals   4.6 cups
8g       yeast            equals   1/4 oz. or one packet
300ml  water            equals   1.2 cups
100ml  cooking oil    equals     .4 cups
1 Tbs   brown sugar  equals   1 Tbs
           salt

At this point I don't know what size machine you have since I am unfamilier
with the Cascade brand.  Seeing that your recipe calls for 600g of flour,
that's a little larger than one of our 2 pound units.  I suspect it is
probably designed to be a 2 pound unit.  You should, however, be able to make
a smaller 1 1/2 pound loaf just as well if you choose to.  You might want to
check your instruction manual to verify the size loaf it can handle.

In looking over your recipe I see a rather obvious discrepany.  There is too
little water for the amount of flour and your dough will be too dry.  This
will create a loaf resembling something between a hockey puck and a door stop.
Also, some of the other ingredients could use a little adjusting.  I've
reworked your recipe using the original flour quantity of 600g and I've also
converted it into a 1 1/2 pound recipe.  The results are as follows:

ORIGINAL RECIPE

600g bread flour
11g yeast
420ml water
50 ml oil
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
8ml salt

1 1/2 POUND LOAF

390g bread flour
8g yeast
280ml water
30ml oil
1 Tbs sugar
5ml salt

When putting the ingredients in the bread pan, be sure to follow the
manufacturers recommended order, this is very important.  Also, be sure that
you keep the yeast and salt well separated.  If the salt comes into direct
contact with the yeast it will kill the yeast.

Terry, give these adjusted redipes a try and let me know how they come out.
If you have any questions give a yell.  If you want any other recipes let me
know and I'll send them.

Happy Baking!

Don