Mystery Bread

BreadMagician@prodigy.com ( LINDA REHBERG)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 18:35:22, -0500
v098.n053.11
From: "andy&shell" <andy.shell@virgin.net>
Subject: Mystery Bread
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:31:51 +0100
Shell,

You wrote:
<<<I went on an exchange holiday in Denmark about 15 years ago.
Whilst I was
there, every day, the couple made sandwhiches for me to take on my
sightseeing trips.  The bread they used seemed to be a traditional
loaf,
very, very dark brown, quite hardish and small pieces.  I have very
strong
memories about this bread and have tried, without success to find out
what
this bread was and ideally to get a recipe.  I'm not very
knowledgeable
about foreign breads, some one surgested I tried something called
pumpanickle, but it deffinately wasn't that.  I would be so greatful
if
anyone could help, even just with the name.>>>>

I'm not familiar with Danish breads, never having been there, so I
scanned several cookbooks but didn't come up with anything matching
your description.  I'm wondering if the bread you're referring to is
similar to the German Volkornbrot.  You can find it or something very
similar in the deli section of the market with the cheeses.  It's a
very heavy, very dense dark bread.  The slices are about 5" square
and quite thin.  Sometimes it's labeled as a pumpernickel or a rye
but it doesn't resemble the ryes and pumpernickels found in the bread
case.  When we lived in Germany, this bread was everywhere and we
missed it terribly when we returned home until I was able to find
something similar here.

Hope I'm on the right track.....

Linda Rehberg
www.breadmachinemagic.com