Bread Advice

Patrice Johnson <johns388@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:17:00 -0500
v098.n059.15
Hello - I need some advice regarding a recipe I threw together.  Yesterday I
made a rolled bread using pesto as a filling.  The bread itself was tasty,
but I was disappointed that yet another of my "rolled" breads came out with
air pockets between the layers.  Any advice on avoiding this separation of
bread & filling?

A non-exact reincarnation of the recipe follows.  My apologies if the format
is not correct for this list.

Thanks in advance, Patrice

                                   Pesto Rolled Bread

Recipe By     : Patrice M. Johnson

  ~1      cup          warm water -- 110-115 degrees
    1      teaspoon  salt
1-1/2  tablespoons butter
3-1/4  cups        flour
    3      tablespoons sugar
    1      tablespoon dried milk
  1-1/2 teaspoon  yeast
  2-3     teaspoons dried basil
  2-3     teaspoons dried hot pepper flakes (I used Thai)

Add all ingredients to bread machine in order suggested by manufacturer.
Use mix, rise, self-form method.

Roll out prepared dough to form ~8 x 12 inch rectangle.  Spread several
ounces prepared pesto in center of dough.  Tightly roll dough and shape to
form loaf.  Let rise 1 hour.  Brush with beaten egg and top with grated
parmesian if desired.  Bake 1 hour at 375 F or until done.

****
   Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do,
   something to love, and something to hope for.

        Addison (1672-1719)
****