Re: Digest bread-bakers.v098.n061

Nancy Hedrick <nanh@pacifier.com>
Tue, 08 Sep 1998 22:13:23 -0700
v098.n066.12
>I'd like to make some comments regarding knives and slicing bread:  In our
>experience, we have found serrated knives to slice best, BUT, cheaper knives
>tend to have large serrations on only one side of the blade, and when slicing
>these knives "wander," therefore the slices tend to become thicker or thinner
>than when you started.  I do have an excellent knife, a Cutco slicer about
10"
>long, that is absolutely supreme.  I believe it has been mentioned on this
>list before.  Yes, it is very expensive, a friend was enamored of mine and
>bought one a couple of years ago and I think it was around $75.  I have had
>mine nearly 25 years and it still sharp and  slices like it was new.  Of
>course, you DO have to cut straight, but this knife helps you to do so.
>
>Jean

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking for quite awhile and finally feel compelled to comment on
Jean's recommendation of Cutco knives.  I couldn't agree more!!  I have no
connection with Cutco except that I received Cutco knives as a wedding
present 30 years ago and have been using them ever since.  They are made in
the USA and an extremely high quality product.  The best part is their
"Forever Guarantee" - they will sharpen their knives for the cost of
shipping if you send them in to the company located in NY.  Currently only
$3.00 for 3 knives - I just got mine back today. (First time that I had to
send the serrated edge ones in - they've been sharp all these years!)  They
will also replace them free if you are dissatisfied.  You can learn all the
details at their website   <www.cutco.com>  or by calling 1-800-828-0448.
They are not sold in stores, only in homes or by mail.  The slicer that
Jean mentioned is currently selling for $62 and has a 9-3/4" blade with
their "Double-D" serrated edge.  The whole knife measures 15-3/8" overall.
It's that Double-D edge that makes the slicer perfect for bread with its
small serrations and uniquely engineered design.  It really must be
sharpened at the company as a result of that design, but once in 30 years
is OK with me!  Well, I could go on and on about other Cutco utensils, but
this is a BREAD list, so I'll stop with the slicer.  Email me if you want
to hear more about Cutco!!
Thanks for everyone's input to this list, I really enjoy it.
Nan
PS.  I delayed posting this and in todays snail mail I received a sale
brochure from Cutco celebrating their 50th anniversary this year listing
the slicer knife at $43 until 12-21-98.  To order, call 1-800-633-8323.
What a deal!!