Filipino Purple Yam Bread Rolls

Sat, 10 Mar 2018 12:19:07 -0800
v118.n009.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

             Rolls, Filipino Purple Yam Bread  Hot Ube Pandesal

Recipe By     :Ruby Hernandez
Categories    : Breads/Muffins/Rolls            Ethnic
                 Low Fat                         Side Dish
                 Snacks

   1 1/2           cups  2% milk
      1/2           cup  unsalted butter
   2                     eggs
   1           teaspoon  salt
   3               cups  bread flour
   4              ounce  purple yam powder -- or more to taste
   3 1/2      teaspoons  bread machine yeast
      1/2           cup  unseasoned bread crumbs -- or as needed

Filipino

Prep: 25 min
Cook: 17 min
Ready In: 2:28

For leftovers, warm in a toaster oven before serving for better taste.

Pour milk into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave until
warm, about 1 minute.

Place butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave until
melted, about 30 seconds.

Place eggs in a bowl; cover with warm water for 1 minute. Drain and
crack into the bowl; beat lightly with a fork.

Place warm milk, melted butter, eggs, salt, bread flour, purple yam
powder, and bread machine yeast into a bread machine in the order
listed. Run "Dough" cycle.

Preheat oven to 375F (190C).

Transfer dough to a greased bowl. Deflate dough with your fist. Cut
into 24 oval pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.

Pour bread crumbs into a shallow plate; roll balls of dough in bread
crumbs until coated. Arrange close together, slightly touching, in an
ungreased baking pan.

Bake in the preheated oven until tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes.

What I'm sharing here is my version of the hot pandesal we ate for
breakfast as kids and even for merienda (snack time), with hot
chocolate or warm milk. I love food with ube flavor thus
incorporating it with my favorite breakfast bread.

Info: (Sold at Amazon)
Ube Powder is a purple starch made in the Philippines from a yam
called in English "purple yam." The yam has rough, gnarly skin. The
starch is slightly sweet, and colours the foods it is used in, such
as desserts and jams (in the Philippines, the jam made with it is
called "ube halaya."

It is cooked with sugar and eaten as a sweetened dessert or jam
called ube halaya, which is a bright violet color. Ube is also an
ingredient in halo, a popular fruity dessert.

S(Internet Address):
   "<http://allrecipes.com/recipe/258732/hot-ube-pandesal-filipino-purple-yam-bread-rolls>"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 137 Calories; 5g Fat (32.9%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
29mg Cholesterol; 127mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Serve hot with or without spread/butter of your choice.

NOTES : 2018 - 0106