100% Whole Wheat Graham Crackers

Sat, 08 Dec 2018 14:14:30 -0800
v118.n048.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Crackers, 100% Whole Wheat Graham

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Crackers/Crisps/Pretzels
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted

   227                g  White Whole Wheat Flour -- (2C or 8 oz)
   124                g  sugar -- (1/2C+ 2T or 4 3/8 oz)
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   1           teaspoon  ground cinnamon
   1           teaspoon  baking powder -- or 1/2 teaspoon baker's ammonia
   1              large  egg
   50                 g  vegetable oil -- (1/4C or 1 3/4 oz)
      1/4           cup  water -- or 2 tablespoons each orange juice
and water,*See Tips
                         cinnamon-sugar -- for topping; optional

Harking back to the birth of the graham cracker - invented by
nineteenth-century preacher Sylvester Graham as a whole-grain,
healthy food - these crackers are 100% whole wheat. Crisp and light,
they're just sweet enough.

PREP: 20 mins. to 30 mins
BAKE: 30 mins. to 35 mins
TOTAL: 50 mins. to 1:05
YIELD: about 3 dozen 3" x 2" crackers

Preheat the oven to 300F. Lightly grease two baking sheets; if you
have parchment, you'll be using it to roll, transfer, and bake the
crackers, so you won't need to grease your baking sheets.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder,
if you're using it; if you're using baker's ammonia, don't mix it in
yet. Set the mixture aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, and orange
juice/water. If you're using baker's ammonia, dissolve it in 1
tablespoon of the water before adding it to the remaining liquid ingredients.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry mixture, stirring to form a
cohesive dough.

Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a flattened block.

Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll it between two pieces
of lightly greased parchment or waxed paper until it's 1/16" thick.
Try to keep the dough a uniform thinness throughout.

Transfer the rolled-out dough to your prepared baking sheet; if it's
on parchment, peel off the top piece, and lay the bottom piece on the
baking sheet. If it's on waxed paper, peel off the top piece, flip
the dough over onto the baking sheet, and peel off the remaining piece.

Repeat with the remaining piece of dough. Sprinkle with
cinnamon-sugar, if desired.

Bake the crackers for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and use
a rolling pizza wheel or sharp knife to cut the sheets of dough into
3" x 2" rectangles; don't separate them, just cut them. Return the
crackers to the oven, and continue to bake for 20 to 25 minutes,
until they're browning around the edges.

Turn off the oven, and open the oven door wide. After 5 minutes or
so, when much of the oven's heat has dissipated, shut the oven door,
and let it cool down completely with the crackers inside; this will
help them become as crisp as possible.

Store the cooled crackers, tightly wrapped, at room temperature.
They'll stay good for several weeks.

Tips:
Orange juice tempers the sometimes strong flavor of whole wheat; used
in this small amount, your crackers won't taste orange-y, just less
"wheaty." Use all water if desired.

Rolling the dough ultra-thin (1/16") is key to the crisp, light
texture of these crackers. If you can't roll the dough that thin,
your crackers will be sturdier, and you'll need to bake them longer;
when done, they should be a shade darker than when they went into the
oven, and shouldn't be at all soft or pliable.

Review: I made a vegan version of these substituting the egg with a
flax egg and they're awesome!! I plan on using them for a cheesecake
crust and cannot wait!

Review: These were extremely successful. The dough seemed much too
sticky to roll out (I live in a very humid place), so I rolled them
into balls, dipped them in large-crystal raw sugar, and pressed them
thin and flat with the bottom of a glass instead. I baked them for
about 25 minutes at the recommended temperature until lightly browned
around the edges. The resulting jagged rounds might not have been as
pretty as tidy rectangles, but they were crisp and crunchy all the
way through, overtly wheaty (something I like, so I omitted the
orange juice), and just sweet enough. I'll make these again, and I'll
use the pressing-flat technique again, too.

Review: I added 1/8 teaspoon LorAnn Oils super strength Honey flavor,
which helped approximate the "box" flavor, I think. I baked them in
my pizzelle maker, and enjoy them plain or spread with peanut butter.

S(Internet address):
   "<https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/100-whole-wheat-graham-crackers-recipe>"
Yield:
   "3 dozen"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 49 Calories; 2g Fat (28.8%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
6mg Cholesterol; 46mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0603