Miracle No Knead Bread

Thu, 21 Feb 2019 22:13:32 -0800
v119.n009.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, Miracle No Knead (with comments)

Recipe By     :Lindsay
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Posted

   3               cups  all-purpose flour
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  instant yeast
   1 1/2           cups  room temperature water

Let me paint a picture for you. It starts with a golden and
ragged-looking crusty loaf of piping hot white bread being roughly
torn into chunks, steam escaping, crumbs flying everywhere across the
table, and it ends with that swift swooping motion as its hot n'
chewy little self dives deep into the bowl of thick soup and delivers
a bit of chewy carbs sopped with flavor to your hungry, happy mouth.
Honestly. The pure bliss of this moment.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and yeast together
until mixed. Stir in the water until a chunky, thick dough forms. If
it needs a little more water, add a few more tablespoons, just enough
to get it barely wet throughout. It's gonna look scrappy and weird
and you're going to question me on whether or not this will work, but
it will. Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest for
12 to 18 hours at room temperature. Overnight is ideal here, kids.

When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 450F. Stick a 6 quart
enamel coated cast iron Lodge Dutch Oven (or similar) in the oven for
about 30 minutes to heat. At this point, the dough should be big and
puffy and pretty loose, with little bubbles in it. Gently scrape the
dough out onto a well-floured surface. (Remember: NO KNEAD.) Gently
shape it into a ball with flour on the outside, set on a piece of
parchment, and cover with plastic while your pan heats up.

Remove the plastic from the dough. Lift the dough and parchment
together into the pan so the parchment lines the bottom of the hot
pan (be careful not to touch the pan since it's very hot). Bake,
covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake another 10 to 15
minutes to get the exterior nice and golden brown and crispy. Voila!
Done. Miracle no-knead bread, you boss you.

Tip: If you do not have a Dutch Oven: You will just need an oven-safe
pot or pan with an oven-safe tight-fitting lid. Please check
instructions on whatever you use to ensure it can be heated to 450F
(empty for instruction #2).

Based on comments and questions, we decided to try this recipe with
both gluten-free flour and whole wheat flour! A few notes for each:
1. Gluten-Free: We tried this flour and the results were great. A
hard crust formed on the outside and the inside was soft, airy, and a
teeny bit spongy - close to the real thing. Some downsides: the bread
didn't rise as much as the regular version and, of course, it didn't
have quite the same flavor. 2. Whole Wheat: This was very similar to
the original version. The texture of the dough was the same, it rose
the same, and it looked the same coming out of the oven with its hard
crust. The inside texture was denser with not as many air pockets.
The flavor was a little bitter and texture was a bit gritty, but to
be expected with whole wheat flour.

Review: This recipe is pretty much identical to several on the
interweb. I have made it several times, and it makes great bread.

Review: My grandma made this bread since she was a child before 1920,
and for our family from the early '50s to '82 when she died. When she
didn't have yeast she used baking powder and/or baking soda. I still
make it, and like my grandma, I think it tastes better with
buttermilk instead of water, especially if you don't use the yeast,
the buttermilk helps it rise better too.

S(Internet address):
   "https://pinchofyum.com/no-knead-bread";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 171 Calories; trace Fat (2.5%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 402mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0221